Would a Military Pre-Med Education be less accredited?

OregonNative

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

My name is Patrick, and I've got about a year left in order to wrap up my bachelors. I was looking into the military as a way of wrapping up my pre-med education before applying to medical school. The US Air Force has a diagnostic imaging program which offers 82 college credits. I was thinking wrapping up my bachelors in "Nuclear Medicine Technology", before applying in medical school.

My only questions are,

1. Would a pre-med education through the military effect my chances of getting accepted into medical school?

I'm not sure if the CCAF (community college of the Air Force) issues a GPA, or how exactly that works. I'll be speaking to a recruiter about that. My main concerns are whether or not a military education would be accredited as a pre-med degree. Considering the CCAF is considered a community college, I'm also wondering if that is an issue either.

2. I'm considering active duty mostly for the financial security. While the money isn't great its a steady paycheck and travel benefits. I'm really serious about getting my MD, so the reserves is also an option. Would you guys assume being in the reserves would provide a much better chance for me to get my education?

Thanks everyone,
ON

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

My name is Patrick, and I've got about a year left in order to wrap up my bachelors. I was looking into the military as a way of wrapping up my pre-med education before applying to medical school. The US Air Force has a diagnostic imaging program which offers 82 college credits. I was thinking wrapping up my bachelors in "Nuclear Medicine Technology", before applying in medical school.

My only questions are,

1. Would a pre-med education through the military effect my chances of getting accepted into medical school?

I'm not sure if the CCAF (community college of the Air Force) issues a GPA, or how exactly that works. I'll be speaking to a recruiter about that. My main concerns are whether or not a military education would be accredited as a pre-med degree. Considering the CCAF is considered a community college, I'm also wondering if that is an issue either.

2. I'm considering active duty mostly for the financial security. While the money isn't great its a steady paycheck and travel benefits. I'm really serious about getting my MD, so the reserves is also an option. Would you guys assume being in the reserves would provide a much better chance for me to get my education?

Thanks everyone,
ON

1) No, but that major may not be in your best interest. I would recommend a more academic major if you are wanting to apply to medical school.than that, whether it is within a military university or a civilian one. Also, a community college of any color is not good for the issuing of your degree.

2) The best option is to go to medical school on a military scholarship, which both pays for your education as well as gives you an officer's salary.