Would a PT clinic hire an OT

Started by es888w
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

es888w

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would a PT outpatient clinic hire an OT graduate as a PT? Except for hospitals, where can an OT find jobs? At the hospital where I volunteer, there are 15 PTs vs. 2-3 OTs. I am applying to PT schools and considering one OT school in case I don't get into PT, but I don't know if this is wise... Thanks for any feedback.
 
Would a PT outpatient clinic hire an OT graduate as a PT? Except for hospitals, where can an OT find jobs? At the hospital where I volunteer, there are 15 PTs vs. 2-3 OTs. I am applying to PT schools and considering one OT school in case I don't get into PT, but I don't know if this is wise... Thanks for any feedback.


This is going to sound silly but it's the only way I can answer it. An OT cannot work as a PT and a PT cannot work as an OT. The licensures are completely distinct and separate from each other. The job descriptions often overlap in different settings, but an OT cannot be a PT nor vice versa.

They do work together in many inpatient and outpatient settings.
 
I volunteered in a private outpatient PT clinic that employed an OT. She primarily did hand therapy. For all I know, she may have rented space from them.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I worked as a secretary at a private PT clinic for a while. We employed one OT. she was also certified in hand therapy. She only did hands and elbows. We legal couldn't schedule any other "body parts" with her. You could get employed by a PT clinic, but you won't be able to do the full range of things that a PT does.
 
It depends on the philosophy of the clinic in which you are interested. Some areas/clinics believe OT's are the "hand therapists" or "upper extremity" therapist. Others believe the Physical Therapists should be the one treating musculoskeletal injuries of the upper extremity and allow the OT's to work on what they are trained the most in - improving indepence in ADL activities.