Would adcoms be wary of accepting applicant who has a W along with other grades such as C's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future Emergency Doctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in community college and transferring to a 4 yr uni. I have also attended this community college when I was in high school as a dual credit student and unfortunately I received a received F and 2 C's along with 1 B and 1 A. The F was in a history class and 2 C's and the B was in social science classes. And the A was in history. Since then, I received 1 C, 2 B's, and a NC.

This term I'm taking 3 classes and I'll certainly get a A in two of the classes. But in a preresquite class for college algebra I'm sure I'll get a C. I have 3 options: take the C, drop the class and get a W, or request the grading to be pass/fail.

What should I do? Would dropping the class raise a red flag along with the F and the C's.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

So let me make sure I have this correct, your total grade count right now is:

1 No Credit
1 F
2 C
3 B
1 A

What's your current GPA at? I think you need to request pass/fail grading on the algebra class.

A single W doesn't raise concerns. A single F won't raise concerns IF you have a sustained record of academic excellence. But you do not have that. You need to starting aceing things from now on.

I'm currently in community college and transferring to a 4 yr uni. I have also attended this community college when I was in high school as a dual credit student and unfortunately I received a received F and 2 C's along with 1 B and 1 A. The F was in a history class and 2 C's and the B was in social science classes. And the A was in history. Since then, I received 1 C, 2 B's, and a NC.

This term I'm taking 3 classes and I'll certainly get a A in two of the classes. But in a preresquite class for college algebra I'm sure I'll get a C. I have 3 options: take the C, drop the class and get a W, or request the grading to be pass/fail.

What should I do? Would dropping the class raise a red flag along with the F and the C's.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, let me catch you while you're early and not 200 credits in. If medical school is what you want then stop messing around. No more F's, no more W's, no more bad grades. Make life easier on yourself by getting it done in UG. Trust me, I have to do a post-bac and probably an SMP before med school. That's a lot more time and a lot more money. You don't want to get into my situation, so do yourself a favor. Find studying tips on SDN and ask your professors how to ace their courses. Listen to Goro!

It's still early so if you wise up everything should be fine. However, if you keep this up you will be in a similar situation to me or worse.

Reactions: 1 user