Would anyone care to chime in on my Pre-Med questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swaggDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
  • I am set to start community college in January, but I'm applying for NC A&T (a top HBCU in NC). How would it look if I do get accepted to A&T to just drop out of community college, to start A&T in the fall? How would that look on my transcript and how would an admission committee take that? Also, does it matter about the classes I take at CC as long as they are not pre-med classes? I heard some top med schools don't like any CC classes, no matter what they are...

• I have been out of school for 3.5 years, and with my 2.0 HS GPA, I do not know if it would be wise to major in Biology. My study habits were never that great in high school, as I was never pushed to do my school work (not an excuse, I take fault in this). I've heard that Business is a very good degree and is not that intense. I'm thinking more of Business in Accounting, as that would be a good back up plan, if Med School did not pan out for me. My plan would be if I decided to major in Account, I would try to finish all my pre med reqs by the end of Junior year, so I can have the basics down for the MCAT. How much of a disadvantage would I be in by just take the required classes for the MCAT vs undergrads that majored in Biology and probably took more advanced classes? Would a MCAT study guide be sufficient to make up for the lack of upper classes? Will I be at a disadvantage by taking the MCAT by the end of Junior year/beginning of Senior year, since most take the MCAT by the end of their Sophmore year?

• Does anyone have a good link on Medical terminology?

**I am an African-American male, if that helps any.

Members don't see this ad.

• I am set to start community college in January, but I'm applying for NC A&T (a top HBCU in NC). How would it look if I do get accepted to A&T to just drop out of community college, to start A&T in the fall? How would that look on my transcript and how would an admission committee take that? Also, does it matter about the classes I take at CC as long as they are not pre-med classes? I heard some top med schools don't like any CC classes, no matter what they are...

• I have been out of school for 3.5 years, and with my 2.0 HS GPA, I do not know if it would be wise to major in Biology. My study habits were never that great in high school, as I was never pushed to do my school work (not an excuse, I take fault in this). I've heard that Business is a very good degree and is not that intense. I'm thinking more of Business in Accounting, as that would be a good back up plan, if Med School did not pan out for me. My plan would be if I decided to major in Account, I would try to finish all my pre med reqs by the end of Junior year, so I can have the basics down for the MCAT. How much of a disadvantage would I be in by just take the required classes for the MCAT vs undergrads that majored in Biology and probably took more advanced classes? Would a MCAT study guide be sufficient to make up for the lack of upper classes? Will I be at a disadvantage by taking the MCAT by the end of Junior year/beginning of Senior year, since most take the MCAT by the end of their Sophmore year?

• Does anyone have a good link on Medical terminology?

**I am an African-American male, if that helps any.

- Depending on what schools you are aiming for, some definitely don't like any prereqs to be taken at CCs.
- Majoring in Business would be an okay "backup plan," but seriously consider the effects of only having premed reqs factor into your sGPA. If you can make As and Bs that will be great, but with a 2.0 HS GPA it may be unwise to take these courses from the get go (you can major in Biology if you are willing to work hard though, but don't do it just because it's the "premed" thing to do)
- Taking only the required courses would put you at a SLIGHT disadvantage for the MCAT, as many passages in PS/BS tend to focus on concepts covered in higher level classes such as Biochemistry, Genetics, Cell Biology, and the like. If you have strong foundations however, performing well on the MCAT should be no problem. Consulting study guides will help significantly, but do make sure you work hard in your prereqs, as it will make the MCAT that much easier.
- Most students take their MCAT at the end of their junior year. Some people like me who were afraid they would do poorly take it summer of Sophomore year. Technically, you can take it upon completion of all the premed reqs.
- Taking it beginning of senior year would be detrimental to your application if you were to apply that cycle, so take it end of junior year(usually while you're doing AMCAS).
- Your URM status will be beneficial in the medical school process, but don't bank on it to get you in and do your best.

Good luck! Hope this helped.

- Depending on what schools you are aiming for, some definitely don't like any prereqs to be taken at CCs.
- Majoring in Business would be an okay "backup plan," but seriously consider the effects of only having premed reqs factor into your sGPA. If you can make As and Bs that will be great, but with a 2.0 HS GPA it may be unwise to take these courses from the get go (you can major in Biology if you are willing to work hard though, but don't do it just because it's the "premed" thing to do)
- Taking only the required courses would put you at a SLIGHT disadvantage for the MCAT, as many passages in PS/BS tend to focus on concepts covered in higher level classes such as Biochemistry, Genetics, Cell Biology, and the like. If you have strong foundations however, performing well on the MCAT should be no problem. Consulting study guides will help significantly, but do make sure you work hard in your prereqs, as it will make the MCAT that much easier.
- Most students take their MCAT at the end of their junior year. Some people like me who were afraid they would do poorly take it summer of Sophomore year. Technically, you can take it upon completion of all the premed reqs.
- Taking it beginning of senior year would be detrimental to your application if you were to apply that cycle, so take it end of junior year(usually while you're doing AMCAS).
- Your URM status will be beneficial in the medical school process, but don't bank on it to get you in and do your best.

Good luck! Hope this helped.

So, just having the pre reqs as my sGPA, will look bad to med schools?
& Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, just having the pre reqs as my sGPA, will look bad to med schools?
& Thanks for the help.
No, but if you get a C in one of the classes, that will have a much greater negative effect on your sGPA than if you have twice as many science classes to "dilute" the poor grade, as science majors do. As long as you have all the pre-reqs, the med schools don't care what you major in, as long as your cGPA and sGPA are good.

No, but if you get a C in one of the classes, that will have a much greater negative effect on your sGPA than if you have twice as many science classes to "dilute" the poor grade, as science majors do. As long as you have all the pre-reqs, the med schools don't care what you major in, as long as your cGPA and sGPA are good.

Oh I see, that makes since.
Thanks.

Definitely take some time to self reflect on your abilities to sit down and study. See how a couple years of college goes, but in all honesty if you don't actively change your study habits from your previous ways, you're not going to get into (or graduate from) medical school.

Do what you can and best of luck.