Would appreciate some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeful313

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to sdn forums. I am currently a junior at a state school. I am planning to pursue the MD/PhD track. I would like to know if I am competitive enough to apply this cycle or wait for the next cycle. My stats are below

Degree: Double degree in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry
GPA: 3.5 (currently, will expect to graduate with a 3.6 gpa)
MCAT: 37
Research experience: 3 years (since freshman year). I have 3 publications. Two are middle author publications, and 1 first author publication in JBC. I am also working on a second first author manuscript, which I hope to submit in a month. I am very interested and passionate about the research I do.
Shadowing/Volunteer: I have volunteered with school related activities, and I currently volunteer at the VA hospital, but I just started this semester.
I have shadowed a physician last summer, but that is as much clinical related activities that I have done

I would like to know if I am competitive enough to apply to top tier programs and mid-tier programs. My top two picks that I really wish to go to is Columbia Univeristy and UPenn, as I am interested in working in a couple of labs at those schools.

I looked at the sticky thread, and that I do have two excellents, and one ok. The questions that is concerning me is that will my gpa hurt me a lot.

If I take a year off, I will be able to acquire more publications. I do not know if this will help me or not.

I really appreciate the advice and suggestions. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The questions that is concerning me is that will my gpa hurt me a lot.

If I take a year off, I will be able to acquire more publications. I do not know if this will help me or not.

I would recommend just applying. The GPA may hurt you some, but if you're at a top-tier undergrad they may overlook it to some extent. GPA is a hard thing to significantly raise, and the difference between 3.5 and 3.6 isn't going to be much. Additionally, your publication record is already solid. They're not even necessary to begin with. I don't think more will help you.

I think you should apply too. However, I know the GPA could be better, but I'm concerned about your clinical commitment. Not that you aren't, but I wonder how adcoms will look at your exposure to medicine in general. One semester of clinical volunteering is very little. I don't know enough to know if it'd matter significantly.

Otherwise, you look competitive for MD/PhD. Maybe not your two fav schools, but definitely at a program somewhere.