I would love some MCAT & 2021 MD/PhD Application Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ImmunoFanatic

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
- Do not delay.... you have done enough.
- Submit application to single school and get transcripts submitted to AMCAS. Verification takes 4-6 weeks, usually the latter at the beginning of the cycle.
- Take the MCAT prior to August, preferably in June or mid July.
- Get all of your LORs submitted into system.
- As you get your MCAT result, hopefully mid-July, you then can apply to 15-20 schools with 5-10 dream, 5-10 match, and 2-3 state/near state.

For MD/PhD programs, state of residency doesn't matter.

PM me regarding approach...

Reactions: 1 user
Echo Fencer’s excellent advice. With your profile I’d apply closer to 15 than 20, you will have options. If you have a very good idea of what you want out of a program already (location, PhD program, etc) I’d even apply to as few as 12 schools, 6 dream/6 match.

Be careful - it's very easy to impute an MCAT from AAMC FLs that isn't necessarily your actual score. If you actually get a 520, then I'd agree with @Fencer and @Lucca above, though I'd argue that applying to more schools is better (20 would be my personal suggestion) just because if you're applying to competitive schools, random chance can play a factor in whether you get interviews in the sea of other qualified applicants.

I will say that you should basically apply to all of the "T20s" (ranking is meaningless - I'm more trying to emphasize that you're competitive) you want as well as some match schools (though your match schools may very well also be T20s).