Would appreciate some insight on my list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

von Matterhorn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm adding schools to AMCAS right now, and here's the tentative list I have come up up. I'd really like to narrow it down to ~20 schools due to the cost of applying. Some things to know about me:

Low-stat applicant (3.5 GPA, 28R MCAT)

Not interested in DO schools

Not URM

Fairly good E.Cs (or so I would think)

Minnesota resident, but also significant family ties in NY, VA, WI, IL (if that matters for anything)

Albany
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
LSU (is MSAR right, only 2 OOS accepted? My friend just got in, from SD with no state ties, low MCAT and GPA, has me confused)
Layola
Marshall U
Mayo
Wisconsin (Milwaukee and Madison)
NYMC
Oakland
Rush
St Louis
Sanford
SUNY Downstate
Stony Brook
Toledo
USF Morsani
U Arizona
U Iowa
U Kansas
U Louisville
U Miami
U Minnesota
U Nebraska
U North Dakota
VCU
Wayne State
Wright State

I realize with my stats, pretty much any MD school is a bit of a stretch, but having said that, which ~10 or so are the biggest stretches? Don't factor in mayo, my parents are hell-bent on me applying there so they're paying for that one. Not including it in my 20.

Thanks for any help guys/gals

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't apply to Stanford, Kansas, North Dakota, Stony Brook, SUNY Downstate, and Nebraska. Stanford is definitely a reach with your stats. The other schools generally don't accept a lot of OOS applicants. SUNY Downstate and Stony Brook are public NY schools, so once again, it's difficult to get accepted OOS. As for LSU, I think the MSAR only reports the number of matriculated students. They may have accepted more OOS applicants, but only 2 ultimately ended up going there. However, I believe LSU is still not very OOS friendly. If you want a school in New Orleans, look into Tulane.

I wouldn't apply to Stanford, Kansas, North Dakota, Stony Brook, SUNY Downstate, and Nebraska. Stanford is definitely a reach with your stats. The other schools generally don't accept a lot of OOS applicants. SUNY Downstate and Stony Brook are public NY schools, so once again, it's difficult to get accepted OOS. As for LSU, I think the MSAR only reports the number of matriculated students. They may have accepted more OOS applicants, but only 2 ultimately ended up going there. However, I believe LSU is still not very OOS friendly. If you want a school in New Orleans, look into Tulane.
I believe he was referring to "sanford", which I think is either SD or ND med school. OP I think your best shot is at twin cities, make sure you work hard on those essays and get the app in early.

also, I wouldn't bother with Iowa, Rush (very few OOS interviewed, something like 2%), or Nebraska.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, Sanford, as in the SD school.

I'll definitely be working my ass off to get into the U of MN, and I should have my app in either today or tomorrow.

Yep, Sanford, as in the SD school.

I'll definitely be working my ass off to get into the U of MN, and I should have my app in either today or tomorrow.

Then it shall be a competition! lol. I'm a MN resident too and also am applying there. I sent in my stuff the 14th. As far as SD, unless you graduated from SD, you don't really have a shot there as it says you must be a resident or have strong ties to the state which they indicate means graduated there.

Then it shall be a competition! lol. I'm a MN resident too and also am applying there. I sent in my stuff the 14th. As far as SD, unless you graduated from SD, you don't really have a shot there as it says you must be a resident or have strong ties to the state which they indicate means graduated there.

Damn it, your stats are way better. Go apply somewhere else, leave state schools for people like me you bastard! :laugh:

Damn it, your stats are way better. Go apply somewhere else, leave state schools for people like me you bastard! :laugh:

Hey now lol. I've dreamt of being a U of M student for a long time so I can't give up quite that easily ha. I'm sure there's room for the both of us! :D

I would consider dropping Marshall, UW-Madison, and Wright State. I know you said that you have ties to VA, but from what the MSAR indicates, they strongly prefer residents of VA or a few neighboring states. As far as Madison, it is going to be really hard to break into OOS with your stats (and I'm not just saying that to reduce my competition;)). Lastly, I've researched Wright a bit and have noticed that they really aren't that OOS friendly, despite a spike in OOS matriculants last year.

I would consider dropping Marshall, UW-Madison, and Wright State. I know you said that you have ties to VA, but from what the MSAR indicates, they strongly prefer residents of VA or a few neighboring states.

Marshall is in WV, not VA, but the rest of what you said is correct. OP, most of the OOS students at Marshall come from WV or surrounding states, and I don't think ties in VA will be much help. Probably better to focus your time and money on another school.

I would consider dropping Marshall, UW-Madison, and Wright State. I know you said that you have ties to VA, but from what the MSAR indicates, they strongly prefer residents of VA or a few neighboring states. As far as Madison, it is going to be really hard to break into OOS with your stats (and I'm not just saying that to reduce my competition;)). Lastly, I've researched Wright a bit and have noticed that they really aren't that OOS friendly, despite a spike in OOS matriculants last year.
Are you IS for Madison? BRINGGGG ITTTTTTTT ;)

Edit: just saw you were talking about OOS competition. never mind Haha.

Last edited:
Marshall is in WV, not VA, but the rest of what you said is correct. OP, most of the OOS students at Marshall come from WV or surrounding states, and I don't think ties in VA will be much help. Probably better to focus your time and money on another school.

Oops. Good catch. Also OP, I would consider dropping USF now that I think of it. I'm pretty sure they are not very OOS friendly.

Are you IS for Madison? BRINGGGG ITTTTTTTT ;)

Edit: just saw you were talking about OOS competition determined Haha.

Nope, I'm indeed IS for Madison:D. Don't worry though, my numbers shouldn't scare anyone.

FIU and UMiami are more OOS friendly than USF. Plus, who wants to live in Tampa lol

I would live in Topeka, Kansas if that's what it took to get into med school :D