Would continuing research with Ugrad professor through medical school help with residency?

Started by NY_Med
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NY_Med

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have done research the last three years at my undergraduate university with my mentor. He is sitting on a lot of research that is basically ready to be published, and as such this summer (right before M1) we plan on submitting 3-5 publications. Also, to be honest, I wouldn't mind continuing it throughout medical school as well. I have a lot of experience in ortho, and am pretty set on pursuing it, and although this research isn't clinical, it is in a related field (biomechanics- rate of force development). I would pursue clinical research during school too, but would it be worth it to continuing putting out papers in collaboration with him since it is not MEDICAL research? Thanks!
 
The strongest LORs come from people who can speak to your character and work ethic. I think my strongest LOR was from a research/career mentor (MD) that I had known since fall of M1 year and kept in touch with, even when I was no longer going to apply into his specialty.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If it's closely related to the field you're interested in (ortho) then yea sounds like it would be an ideal opportunity to pump out some publications
 
Yeah do it, it sounds great, get those pubs. And maybe also get on some clinical ortho papers throughout medical school.