Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Would getting a D be acceptable??

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by PharmDKid89, Dec 26, 2008.

1. PharmDKid89

2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    My GPA is not too bad all..but it dropped to a 3.3 :(. I mean I still have one semester to improve everything, but a D in physics brought it down because the professor was horrible. I can't retake..no way especially since I submitted my app. I don't know what to do. I'm just hoping for luck...I just hope one D will ruin too much..

2. RXsocal

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Ouch. A D grade in any subject is unacceptable in my eyes if you don't attempt to retake it. I'm sure graduate schools of any profession would also agree.

3. fugm

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    most schools don't except grades below C-.

4. WhiteSnows

WhiteSnows Think Right and Grow Rich
    Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I think a D is a passing grade in my university. However, you will have to retake it.

5. bluesickle

bluesickle ... it begins
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    What's the issue here? Even though you already submitted your application, just retake the class in the spring or in the summer and get a passing grade because I have yet to see a school that accepts a grade lower than a "C".

6. PharmRx77

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I guess you got a D AFTER acceptance, right? (I see your signature). If Physics is your pre-req, then you should definitely talk to your pharm school about it. If its not pre-req, then i think youre fine. Just my 2 cents.

7. Storm90

Storm90 Accepted Pharmacy Student
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    If it's a pre-req, retake it. You'll have to anyways to get accepted, so you may as well bite the bullet and redo it.

8. Transcend

Transcend Hopeful Student
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I'd check with the schools and see what the minimum grade that they accept is -- I think it's a C for most. But personally, I'd retake it and aim for at least a C. And if it's a pre-req, then definitely.

9. WannabePharm88

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    So, if you retake it and get A, it's fine?

10. stn1983

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I got a D in a history class. but a 4.0 for pharm pre req.. and a overall 3.48 with a bachelor in biochem. Will that D affect me?

11. PrepharmKID

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I think some of these questions belong in the "WAMC Thread". Members, including current pharmacy students and a few school adminstrators check there often to help out with those types of questions.

As for the post above mine, no. you have a good GPA, assuming you do well on the PCAT, you dont really have much to worry about. Like I said, post in that thread as other members check there all the time to answer those types of questions.

12. 1908PharmD

Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    All pharmacy schools require that you have atleast a C or better in all prepharmacy requirement coursework. If you have below that you MUST retake that class or find a school that doesnt require that pre-requisite. I know some schools only require Physics I and some require Physics I & Physics II, some dont require it at all. so it depends on how much you want to go to that school if you want to continue your application process there knowing you recieved a D in one of thier pre-reqs.

Also keep in mind, some schools do offer grade forgiveness of 1-2 (varies) courses. Some schools DONT. So you have to weigh your options on this one. :thumbup:

13. ValeRx

ValeRx PharmD
    Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I think any school you apply to say a "D" is UNACCEPTABLE... and can be grounds for taking back your CONDITIONAL ACCEPTANCE.

14. PharmPrincess

PharmPrincess Hot and smart...damn :)
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    a D in any pharm pre-reqs is unacceptable. Some schools will not accept anything lower than a C as their minimum. AND you have to remember that even if you do end up retaking it, some schools will hold that against you in the admission process because your first grade was a D (or lower than a C). I know that Ferris State is one of those schools. Retaking any pre-req that was lower than a C to begin with does not look good on your app.

on a side note, i don't know how your university is on retakes, but i know this one university that would average the two grades as your final grade. But i heard that their policy has changed since then and now the retake grade would be your final grade.

In addition, if your having a hard time with your class load, lessen it. It's always better to end the semester strong than try to fix your GPA in the future. Pharmacy school is all about hard work and time management.