Medical Would I be a strong applicant for my state school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am currently a second year student but I will be completing my BA in psychology with a concentration in Spanish and Health studies by the end of next year (graduating a year early in 2022). I was wondering if I would be a strong candidate for UMass Med School's ED program (I am an in-state resident).

cGPA: 4.0, sGPA: 4.0 (sciences pre-reqs left include phys 2 and biochem)

MCAT: no score yet but taking in May

Clinical Hours:
200 Hours hospice volunteering
300 Hours over the summer doing hospital entry point COVID screening and patient transporting (Predominantly Hispanic city so frequently communicated with patients in Spanish)
(***I'm not sure if this counts but since the pandemic hit I have been taking care of my severely autistic sister since her school shut down by giving her medications at morning and night, bathing her, and coordinating stimulating activities for her throughout the day. If it is clinical experiences I have well over 900 hours doing this since my dad works full time and it is just the two of us at home to take care of her)

Leadership:
50 hours
Undergraduate psychology representative out of 2000 majors on executive board with Deans of Psych department developing a new neuroscience major and discussing new ways to keep our major connected during the virtual semesters

Teaching/Tutoring
100 hours Psychology Peer Advisor
200 Hours Chemistry tutor

Research
300 hours Cognitive psychology lab- currently working on honors thesis for optimal visual representations of Bayesian Inference for medical test results
300 hours autism research lab- working on literature review for camouflaging tendencies in female minorities with autism

Non-clinical volunteering
150 hours at community donation center packaging clothes for low-income families
50 hours coordinating Christmas drive for presents for adult orphans with autism

Extracurriculars:
100 hours Advancing Diversity in Research in Psychology program at my university
5th place national online competition for musical theater singing
1st place state-wide online competition for musical theater singing
200 hours varsity men's crew team coxswain

Please let me know if there is anything else I need to add to give you a better idea of myself as an applicant. Thank you so much in advance, I truly appreciate this invaluable resource.

***I'm not sure if this counts but since the pandemic hit I have been taking care of my severely autistic sister since her school shut down by giving her medications at morning and night, bathing her, and coordinating stimulating activities for her throughout the day. If it is clinical experiences I have well over 900 hours doing this since my dad works full time and it is just the two of us at home to take care of her
Does not count, but is something you can certainly talk about in your personal statement
Please let me know if there is anything else I need to add to give you a better idea of myself as an applicant.
Realistically I think you know this, but the only thing missing is an MCAT score and preserving your high GPA. You've checked all the other boxes. Don't mess something up and you'll be in a good spot.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.