SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

would i be considered a non-trad student

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by alexmerpaw, Mar 2, 2007.

1. alexmerpaw

alexmerpaw

Mar 2, 2007
    Hi. I'm 23, going to graduate this year from UofToronto in Chemistry and Physics. I entered college right after i graduated high school (19, would have been 17 but i screwed up). From what i have read about past scientist and doctors a like is that 20-23 years old entering med school is traditional.

For me its important since im the first person from my immediate family to be graduating from college let alone entering medical school, they are so proud of me. My concern is amongst my peers. I have heard many of them say that im much older ( even tho im only 1-3 years older).

My opinion is that im traditional but had a harder time getting to this point then usual. Do you think i'm a non-trad? Would me being one make my medical schooling harder ie: professors not taking an interest or having a harder time getting a residency?

I'm not worried but just curious to see what people who don't know me might think.

Thanks in advance :luck:

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Nasrudin

Nasrudin Apropos of Nothing 10+ Year Member

Jun 8, 2006
    Non-traditional is one of those words that doesn't really mean anything at all. It's like calling a used car "pre-owned" or piece of literature "post-modern."

No title or catch phrase will deliver the nature of your unique story. It's not really important to be nontraditional or not.

Shoot...I'll give you all of my "non-traditional" gpa and 10-15 years of this and that for a "traditional" clean slate to give this game a "traditional" @sswhoopin.

The only thing important is if you find the folks here helpful to you in a way that addresses your concerns. If so hang out some more.

4. awk

awk AWK 2+ Year Member

Dec 10, 2006
    I don't even get why it matters. If you want to post in these threads than go ahead.

5. Krisss17

Krisss17 2+ Year Member

I, do, agree with you, Nasrudin...although, I definitely feel that with age comes a certain understanding and maturity that you can't really experience without time.

6. Nasrudin

Nasrudin Apropos of Nothing 10+ Year Member

Jun 8, 2006
    Yeah. I hear you. Its just that there's plenty of younger folks who have walked down some unusual paths and there's some older folks who's age seems to have yielded them little wisdom.

I hang out here because there's a higher concentration of people who are trying to rectify their situation gpa-wise so I try to see what makes the successful ones successful etc. The age thing is purely accidental in this regard.