1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Would I qualify?

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by adoggie, Mar 8, 2007.

1. adoggie

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi folks. I really want to do a MSTP program after college, but don't think I would qualify for even the easiest to get into. I am a Psychology major at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. I didn't do very well in Physics. Is there any hope for me? Should I reapply for a Bachelor's degree at a more prestigious school after graduating from UH Manoa? Should I just forget about the PhD and go straight into medical school?

2. Dr.Watson

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Basics to qualify for MSTP:
    Good GPA
    Good MCAT
    Lots of Research Experience

Your major and how you did in one course isn't enough to judge your future application. Let us know where you fall in the above categories and then we can give you some advice.

3. wisguy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What do you consider to be a "good GPA" for MSTP purposes?

4. j-weezy

j-weezy MS1
    2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Other people further along in the process may want to chime in -

I think MSTP adcoms may be more lenient towards those with a lower than average (for matriculating med. students) GPA, especially if you have (and you do!) great ECs and awesome research and strong LORs. This may be because there are fewer applicants in general and thus adcoms have more time for a closer examination of non-numerical aspects of one's application. You should be fine at most schools. I think you have plenty of schools on your list - you may want to narrow it down a bit.

5. wisguy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks again, J-weezy! Does anyone else have any insight about the GPA issue for MSTP?

6. Dr.Watson

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  7. wisguy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the input, Dr. Watson! Assuming that I have some excellent LORs in line, where might I be competitive? Is there an MSAR-type resource with information about MSTP? My main research interest is in cell physiology/ biophysics, so I'd be interested in places like UCSD, Cornell, UVa, Duke, Harvard etc based on some of the research going on at those places. Are these at all realistic for me? I'm new to the MD/PhD scene and I'm not sure where to start looking for schools where I might be a good fit. Thanks to any/all in advance!

8. Dr.Watson

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical