Would it be acceptable to basically email my transcript to schools to make sure I meet requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aero SSX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for example, is it OK to email my courses, OH, etc. just to make sure I meet all the minimum requirements and haven't mistakenly missed some minor detail and thus be thrown out of the application pool?

Or is there a better way? Maybe call and talk to the Admissions Office?

Members don't see this ad.

Review requirements on ptcas and do your own homework first. Prereq guidance on there is pretty clear. Only email a school your transcript if you have a question about a particular course. If you do, include the course description pertaining to the course in question. Most applicants, if they are serious, know a lot about the programs they are applying to, so when applicants fire blindly with a transcript, we wonder what the heck we post detailed guidance for if applicants aren't using it.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with the above. Spend some time on the school's website and PTCAS listing. I recommend at a minimum devoting a notebook page to each school and listing every pertinent requirement. (some people prefer to make a table of requirements). Then, know your own transcript (EVERY SINGLE ONE). Look at course numbers and descriptions. Check out the PTCAS application instructions for even more info. Once you have done all that, its fine to email the school a very specific question about a course and send a transcript with it. No one is just going to sit down and review your transcripts from a random email.

If you really have a lot of questions, you can often attend a pre admissions group session at the school. Also, your academic advisors at undergrad may be useful as well (though this varies....some are also clueless.)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses. I've already done extensive research about my schools and their requirements, but I feel at times that there might be some minor discrepancy that would cause them not to accept a course. But I understand. I already emailed my schools about Bio and Stat requirements because those courses seem to be a gray area for my schools of interest. And judging by their responses, it was a good thing, because there were some discrepancies I couldn't have predicted.

If it makes you feel better, if you get accepted for an interview then that is when the school's usually go through your transcript. At all of my interviews, we got a sheet of paper listing requirements or pre reqs that still needed to be completed. That gives you a chance to follow up on them too (I showed English as missing but talked to them at the interview and straightened it out).

There were three prerequisite that I had specific questions about for one of my schools. When I emailed the school, I listed the class I was concerned about, language from their site describing the prereq, and then listed my specific concern. I got a very speedy & helpful response.