Would it be appropriate for an AEMT to take AMLS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SterlingMaloryArcher

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand ACLS and PALS are more EMT-I99 and Medic level because of all the EKGs and cardiac drugs, even though I've heard of basics taking it before, I don't really see the reason. Asking because I don't want to waste my time on a certification that has no real value.

Members don't see this ad.

AMLS has as much value as you personally place in it, in my opinion. I did AMLS about 6 years ago and never even got my card in the mail. It didn't make a difference one way or another, as I worked in a couple of progressive moderate/high volume EMS systems without it. I've never even seen a medic job requiring AMLS. AMLS is basically a class about abdominal pain, endocrine disorders and strokes. You won't learn anything terribly practical from it, especially as an EMT, but if you like learning and wanna take it to the next level, go right ahead.

If I had to make a list of cert classes in order of importance, AMLS would be at or near the bottom.