Would it be hard to find a gen-surg residency at university based program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JIS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a USIMG,
have fairly decent basic science GPA 3.8,
95 on step 1 and will be taking step 2 shortly,
strong LOR from the US hospitals and their faculty,
however, I come from a carrib. school that is not quite as "established" as the big three...

What do you guys think of my chances are, for landing a gen-surg residency for a strong university based program?

It has always been my DREAM to get a residency spot at the University of Washington School of Medicine's surgery department, and I've worked really hard for it.

Any input or opinions will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Well...you are on the right track. Good scores and grades are the key to get you in the door. You also need some great LOR and if you can score one from the PD or Chairman of the surgery program where you did your core rotation or Sub I. I can tell you that after applying for University Gen Surg it is hard to get interviews at teir one schools. But with good score and grades you will get interviews from tier two schools. If you want you can PM me and I will give you what my qualifications were.

But if I were you...I would rock step 2 before interviews start...get a great LOR from 1-2 chairmen or PD's and then also try to get atleast a couple of abstracts published either in local, national or international forums. If you can do that you will be ahead of the game and have a decent chance of tier two. University of Washington is a great tier one program and probably will be difficult, but not impossible to get an interview from. Just be ready for lots of rejection and humiliation during the interview process, not just from the interviewers but also the other candidates. but that is a story for another day!

Just PM me and I will try to help you out...

BTW I am a graduating senior from Ross who did well in school, and on boards...will be matriculating into a categorical university surgery program! Just for my qualifications! ;)