Would like input on my app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davidj

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

I would love to hear your input on my app and status and where you think I could get into. Thanks!

-Canadian Resident
-3.4 cGPA
-28R on first MCAT/will be rewriting this Sept
-2yrs of clinical research
-1yr of basic research
-no publications
-3yrs of clinical experience (checking patients for vital signs - would you consider this as shadowing?)
-15 hours of shadowing
-surgical experience

Some of my thoughts:
- I don't plan to apply to Canadian schools due to the competitiveness.
- I've selected a few US MD schools that I will be applying to (that accept Canadian students).
- I have not yet looked into DO schools.
- I think my chances for SGU is pretty good and that is the only school I plan to apply to in Caribbeans.
- I have been accepted to a Masters program at U of Toronto that I have put on hold.
- One of my main concerns is that I will be submitting end of July but my MCAT score will be released in Oct so I don't know how that will work. Can someone clarify me on this? Will my application be considered late?

Thanks in advance. Greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey SDN,

I would love to hear your input on my app and status and where you think I could get into. Thanks!

-Canadian Resident
-3.4 cGPA
-28R on first MCAT/will be rewriting this Sept
-2yrs of clinical research
-1yr of basic research
-no publications
-3yrs of clinical experience (checking patients for vital signs - would you consider this as shadowing?)
-15 hours of shadowing
-surgical experience

Some of my thoughts:
- I don't plan to apply to Canadian schools due to the competitiveness.
- I've selected a few US MD schools that I will be applying to (that accept Canadian students).
- I have not yet looked into DO schools.
- I think my chances for SGU is pretty good and that is the only school I plan to apply to in Caribbeans.
- I have been accepted to a Masters program at U of Toronto that I have put on hold.
- One of my main concerns is that I will be submitting end of July but my MCAT score will be released in Oct so I don't know how that will work. Can someone clarify me on this? Will my application be considered late?

Thanks in advance. Greatly appreciated!

Apply to MD schools and DO schools first. Your GPA is a little low for both, I recommend you retake any courses you got below a B- in, DO schools will only look at the retake grade. Your MCAT is fine for DO programs, low for MD programs.

Retake any Cs in prereqs and apply DO. Do at least 2 cycles before you give up and go to the Caribbean. The Caribbean is becoming a worse and worse choice every year and should be use only if EXTREMELY desperate (if at all), and you're not there yet.

Schools wont look at your application without an MCAT so yes you're going to be a little late.

Apply to MD schools and DO schools first. Your GPA is a little low for both, I recommend you retake any courses you got below a B- in, DO schools will only look at the retake grade. Your MCAT is fine for DO programs, low for MD programs.

Retake any Cs in prereqs and apply DO. Do at least 2 cycles before you give up and go to the Caribbean. The Caribbean is becoming a worse and worse choice every year and should be use only if EXTREMELY desperate (if at all), and you're not there yet.

Schools wont look at your application without an MCAT so yes you're going to be a little late.

What information backs this up? How is it getting worse? I read somewhere recently that there are going to be something like 60% more job openings for physicians by 2025, compared to 20 something percent for most other fields. I know that doesn't directly mean residencies, but that has to be a good sign.

What information backs this up? How is it getting worse? I read somewhere recently that there are going to be something like 60% more job openings for physicians by 2025, compared to 20 something percent for most other fields. I know that doesn't directly mean residencies, but that has to be a good sign.

More US MD and US DO schools opening up every year (DO schools by a significant amount). Number of residencies remaining fairly stagnant.

US MD > US DO >>>>>>>> Caribbean in terms of who PD will look at.

Basic problem solving... it's going to be harder and harder for Caribbean students to get any residency spots, they're already (with the exception of 1 student who no doubt has connections) getting the least competitive residencies in the least desirable areas.