Would like some advice about my DAT and GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whitewinter

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm a rising junior (psychology major) and I recently took the DAT. Here is my score breakdown: 22AA, 19TS, 24PAT.
Both my sGPA and GPA are 3.6 but I think I can maintain or bring that up this year.

I'm interested in applying to VCU and Maryland but I'm not sure if my scores are good enough. I'd like some advice on what I should do.
Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I'm a rising junior (psychology major) and I recently took the DAT. Here is my score breakdown: 22AA, 19TS, 24PAT.
Both my sGPA and GPA are 3.6 but I think I can maintain or bring that up this year.

I'm interested in applying to VCU and Maryland but I'm not sure if my scores are good enough. I'd like some advice on what I should do.
Thanks in advance!!
Great GPA, what are your individual scores in the science sections?

If the rest of you application is strong I truly believe you have an excellent chance to get interviews at both school. I have posted some information below that you will find helpful.

Nancy, co/owner, Destroyer

Posted on the Maryland website
How can I improve my application to be a more competitive applicant?
Applicants are initially evaluated based on GPA, DAT scores, membership in a pre-dental association and hours of shadowing. Please keep in mind that our average GPA last year was 3.6 and our average DAT score was about 21. We do not consider applicants with DATs below 18. Thus, improving your application may mean enrolling in a Masters program or post bacc to raise your GPA. If that is what you decide, we will expect a 3.5 GPA in post-grad courses because you typically take only three per semester. These are suggestions but they are not a prescription for successful admittance to our program.

VCU Website
Over the past several years, DAT scores have been increasing. The academic average of incoming VCU students is 20.

Members don't see this ad :)
If the rest of you application is strong I truly believe you have an excellent chance to get interviews at both school. I have posted some information below that you will find helpful.

Nancy, co/owner, Destroyer

Posted on the Maryland website
How can I improve my application to be a more competitive applicant?
Applicants are initially evaluated based on GPA, DAT scores, membership in a pre-dental association and hours of shadowing. Please keep in mind that our average GPA last year was 3.6 and our average DAT score was about 21. We do not consider applicants with DATs below 18. Thus, improving your application may mean enrolling in a Masters program or post bacc to raise your GPA. If that is what you decide, we will expect a 3.5 GPA in post-grad courses because you typically take only three per semester. These are suggestions but they are not a prescription for successful admittance to our program.

VCU Website
Over the past several years, DAT scores have been increasing. The academic average of incoming VCU students is 20.
Thank you Nancy!
To be honest I was a little disappointed with my low TS but I plan to bring up my gpa and stay involved in my community and hopefully that will strengthen my application.

Reactions: 1 user