Would love some advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ortholegoo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3rd year DO student interested in Rads contrary to my name. Started this year sold on ortho but absolutely hated my rotation and loved my radiology rotation.

USMLE Step 1: 255
COMLEX Level 1: 750
Preclinicals top 10%
Clinicals half honors half HP so far
1 publication as second author (non radiology) and 1 poster presentation

This isn't just a what are my chances post. I feel like the time is here to start planning out my 4th year rotations and I have absolutely no idea what to do. I just had my first radiology rotation so the idea of applying rads is new to me. I was prepping myself to suffer through all the surgical auditions 4th year, but have been hearing they are of no to minimal benefit for rads. What type of rotations should I schedule 4th year? I am planning on one month of DR and one month of IR to start the year and get some letters, but after that is there anything that would benefit me?

Secondarily, I am interested in academic programs in the western part of the country. I have done some research but not enough. What programs are the best and what programs would I have a legit shot at? I am particularly interested in UW and University of Utah but see they have only taken 1 DO. Thoughts?

Sorry that this post is so long, I am just new to pursuing rads and am looking for help. I have browsed this forum but haven't found the information I am looking for. Appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

3rd year DO student interested in Rads contrary to my name. Started this year sold on ortho but absolutely hated my rotation and loved my radiology rotation.

Preclinicals top 10%

This isn't just a what are my chances post. I feel like the time is here to start planning out my 4th year rotations and I have absolutely no idea what to do. I just had my first radiology rotation so the idea of applying rads is new to me. I was prepping myself to suffer through all the surgical auditions 4th year, but have been hearing they are of no to minimal benefit for rads. What type of rotations should I schedule 4th year? I am planning on one month of DR and one month of IR to start the year and get some letters, but after that is there anything that would benefit me?

Secondarily, I am interested in academic programs in the western part of the country. I have done some research but not enough. What programs are the best and what programs would I have a legit shot at? I am particularly interested in UW and University of Utah but see they have only taken 1 DO. Thoughts?

Sorry that this post is so long, I am just new to pursuing rads and am looking for help. I have browsed this forum but haven't found the information I am looking for. Appreciate it!

first, you made a great choice! Other than rotations to get rads letters and the appropriate time off for step 2, I would try and relax and enjoy yourself, you've worked hard thus far. (Although, an away rotation in one of those programs would definitely help, if its not too late to use VSAS)

second, about wanting to be on the west coast, there is a strong regional bias (IMO), and if your school isn't in the west coast your going to have a hard time getting interviews, so apply broadly. What I know about UW is that is super competitive because its in Seattle.. I would apply to those programs in addition to the programs in your region.

-fourth year applying rads this year

Preclinicals top 10%

No, after one DR and IR rotation you're good. Other 4th year rotations have not come up in any of my rads interviews but did come up in the occasional prelim interview. UW seemed like a very strong program (interviewed there), but I don't know about their tendency to get DOs. However, your step 1 is very high and will open doors for you. Hard to tell whether it will open up UW. Research only came up in less than 25% of my rads interviews, I think having at least some it what is necessary to have the "box checked."

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, being from a DO school puts you at a disadvantage. UW is most likely out of reach. University of Utah- i think you should have a chance.

Was there other programs you were interested particularly?

As for UW they are (un)officially closed to DO's. They will interview you as a courtesy, if you are a strong candidate that rotates with them, but not rank you. This is as of 2 years ago, so things could have changed since then.

Unfortunately, being from a DO school puts you at a disadvantage. UW is most likely out of reach. University of Utah- i think you should have a chance.

Was there other programs you were interested particularly?
No programs in particular because I haven't started looking through all of them yet. I just now that I want to stay on the western part of the US to be close to family.

what school did you go to?
What was your board prep if you do not mind answering :)