MD Would love some help with reducing my school list!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Overman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Would love to get some advice on my school list.

1. cGPA - 3.8 // sGPA - 3.74
  2. MCAT score(s) - 511 (125/129/129/128) -> 513 (128/129/127/129)
  3. State of residence - PA
  4. Ethnicity and/or race - ORM
  5. Undergraduate institution or category - Mid
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer) ~200 hrs
  7. Research experience and productivity - ~950 hrs neuroscience lab, one poster // ~720 hrs biology research, two posters and two talks // ~320 hrs pharmacology research in industry // ~300 hrs humanities art research, one poster
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented - 58 hours with neurology, neurosurgery, ophthalmology, neuro-ophthalmology, and vascular surgery
  9. Non-clinical volunteering - ~100 hrs total, mix of four different community/environmental activities // will be doing gap year of service with Americorps
  10. Other extracurricular activities - Lots of leadership and teaching/tutoring experience!
  11. Anything else not listed you think might be important - As I said in #9, currently in gap year, and I have a big interest in doing research, so research ranking/availability is important
School List:

Definitely Applying (20)

• University of Pittsburgh
  • Drexel University
  • Geisinger Commonwealth
  • Temple University
  • Thomas Jefferson University
  • Penn State
  • Brown
  • Case Western
  • Dartmouth
  • Albert Einstein
  • Emory
  • George Washington
  • Maryland
  • Mayo
  • Oakland
  • Rochester
  • University of Miami
  • University of Michigan
  • USC - Keck
  • USF Morsani
Would like to add maybe 8-10 more schools, currently considering from this selection but would be open to any more suggestions:
  • · Albany

· Boston

· Cincinatti

· Colorado

· Eastern Virginia

· Georgetown

· Hofstra

· Indiana University

· Iowa

· Kentucky

· Ohio State

· Toledo

· Tufts

· U Minnesota

· U Wisconsin

· Virginia Tech

· Wayne State

· Western Michigan
I appreciate any feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Albany, Hofstra, Western Michigan, Tufts, Georgetown, Eastern Virginia and Cincinnati are worth adding. Most of the others are state schools that have a strong preference for their own residents and accept few non residents with your MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Albany, Hofstra, Western Michigan, Tufts, Georgetown, Eastern Virginia and Cincinnati are worth adding. Most of the others are state schools that have a strong preference for their own residents and accept few non residents with your MCAT.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is a more realistic list:

Duke (maybe)
U Cincy (maybe)
U VM
Pitt
Mayo
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
BU
MCW
Hofstra
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Georgetown
Emory
USC/Keck
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Netter
Oakland-B
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons

Here is a more realistic list:

Duke (maybe)
U Cincy (maybe)
U VM
Pitt
Mayo
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
BU
MCW
Hofstra
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Georgetown
Emory
USC/Keck
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Netter
Oakland-B
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons

Thanks for the detailed response @Goro, I appreciate it!

A few questions:
-I was worried about applying to Rush because of their insane non-clinical hours and assumed they would not take my Americorps gap year into account -- am I wrong in thinking that?
-I thought Duke was a top tier (as per WedgeDawg) and assumed it was a mega-reach for me.
-I will also be applying to some DO schools, thank you! I had Touro-NY on my list -- can I ask why you don't recommend it?

Last edited:
-I was worried about applying to Rush because of their insane non-clinical hours and assumed they would not take my Americorps gap year into account -- am I wrong in thinking that?
I'm a big fan of AmeriCorps! So keep Rush on the list. Read this carefully, though:
Attributes of a Successful Candidate | MD Admission Requirements | Rush University

-I thought Duke was a top tier (as per WedgeDawg) and assumed it was a mega-reach for me.
You're in striking distance for Duke, and above their 10th %ile. I am using a avg of your scores for a 512. Duke's median MCAT score is 516.

-I will also be applying to some DO schools, thank you! I had Touro-NY on my list -- can I ask why you don't recommend it?
  • Unethical way they handled the overbooking of their classes last year.
  • Poor COMLEX II pass rates for a now mature school. This hints at poor clinical training.

I'm a big fan of AmeriCorps! So keep Rush on the list. Read this carefully, though:
Attributes of a Successful Candidate | MD Admission Requirements | Rush University

You're in striking distance for Duke, and above their 10th %ile. I am using a avg of your scores for a 512. Duke's median MCAT score is 516.

• Unethical way they handled the overbooking of their classes last year.
  • Poor COMLEX II pass rates for a now mature school. This hints at poor clinical training.

Thanks!

Final school list:

• Drexel University
  • Geisinger Commonwealth
  • Temple University
  • Penn State

• Albany
  • Albert Einstein
  • Boston University
  • Brown
  • Case Western
  • Cincinatti
  • Colorado
  • Dartmouth
  • Eastern Virginia (EVMS)
  • Emory
  • George Washington
  • Hofstra
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Maryland
  • Mayo
  • Oakland
  • Quinnipac (Netter)
  • Rochester
  • Rush
  • Tufts
  • University of Miami
  • University of Michigan
  • USC - Keck
  • USF Morsani
  • Virginia Commonwealth
  • Virginia Tech
  • Western Michigan

@Goro -- Do you think this final list of 34 schools is OK? I removed some of the more religious institutions (Emory remains because of some connections). I also could not make the past CASPER days and did not want to delay my application until August 30th (if that's a concern), so I removed those as well.

@gyngyn -- I noticed that you would chance people for number of interviews in many of these threads -- was wondering if you would be willing do to the same for me. Thank you.

Forget U MI,..they don't need the donation. Ditto U CO, IU, Iowa, U MD, USF, and Va Tech.. One has to be > avg for OOS public schools. I can't recommend Penn state.
Final school list:

• Drexel University
  • Geisinger Commonwealth
  • Temple University
  • Penn State

• Albany
  • Albert Einstein
  • Boston University
  • Brown
  • Case Western
  • Cincinatti
  • Colorado
  • Dartmouth
  • Eastern Virginia (EVMS)
  • Emory
  • George Washington
  • Hofstra
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Maryland
  • Mayo
  • Oakland
  • Quinnipac (Netter)
  • Rochester
  • Rush
  • Tufts
  • University of Miami
  • University of Michigan
  • USC - Keck
  • USF Morsani
  • Virginia Commonwealth
  • Virginia Tech
  • Western Michigan

@Goro -- Do you think this final list of 34 schools is OK? I removed some of the more religious institutions (Emory remains because of some connections). I also could not make the past CASPER days and did not want to delay my application until August 30th (if that's a concern), so I removed those as well.

@gyngyn -- I noticed that you would chance people for number of interviews in many of these threads -- was wondering if you would be willing do to the same for me. Thank you.

Forget U MI,..they don't need the donation. Ditto U CO, IU, Iowa, U MD, USF, and Va Tech.. One has to be > avg for OOS public schools. I can't recommend Penn state.

I see, thanks!