Would taking the OAT during December/January be too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted936320

Started school this week with 5 classes (3 of them have labs). I already submitted some of my applications to optometry schools, but i don't think ill be able to study for the oat during this semester, and taking practice exams yield barely a 300 AA for me. I don't think i want to take it right now (even though my mind is telling me to do it and get it over with). Should I take it now and study my ass off or would taking it during my winter break (dec./jan.) be too late?

Members don't see this ad.

i'm in the same boat as you. I have a intense schedule this semester and thinking about taking the OAT in December. Or I will be taking the year off and apply next cycle.

It depends on your other stats. If you have a low GPA, having a complete application will potentially yield you more acceptances. Taking it late also runs you into the risk of not doing well on the test and not having enough time to retake it.

Best advice is to take it as soon as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Started school this week with 5 classes (3 of them have labs). I already submitted some of my applications to optometry schools, but i don't think ill be able to study for the oat during this semester, and taking practice exams yield barely a 300 AA for me. I don't think i want to take it right now (even though my mind is telling me to do it and get it over with). Should I take it now and study my ass off or would taking it during my winter break (dec./jan.) be too late?
How about take it now and see what happens? If it’s not so good, then study your ass off and retake it dec/Jan?

Reactions: 1 user
How about take it now and see what happens? If it’s not so good, then study your ass off and retake it dec/Jan?

Don't some schools dislike seeing that you took it twice? I know SCCO does. I spoke with them on the phone

It depends on your other stats. If you have a low GPA, having a complete application will potentially yield you more acceptances. Taking it late also runs you into the risk of not doing well on the test and not having enough time to retake it.

Best advice is to take it as soon as possible.

My cGPA is ~3.1. What do you think?

My cGPA is ~3.1. What do you think?

Your GPA is mediocre compared to what the average incoming GPA is.
Ex. SCO’s class of 2022’s GPA was a 3.56.

Just cause you’re below that doesn’t mean you won’t have a chance. I applied with below a 3.0. But applied early with a good OAT and was immediately accepted after my interview.

It’s always a safe bet to apply as early as possible because if they ask you to retake something or fix something you’ll have time. You’ll also run the risk of applying late with not as competitive stats and not get in and have wasted a lot of money (happened to my roommate).

I’ve also harped a lot about this in other posts but not all schools are the same. I met a girl that graduated from optometry school but was unable to pass her boards. Three times she’s taken it and she graduated with (what she says) a 3.7. You can apply and get into a school that has lower stats but you really run the risk of accruing a crap ton of debt with out being able to secure a job to pay it off.

Do your research properly and apply early. Best advice I can give you.

Reactions: 1 users
I would submit ASAP even without your OAT. Some schools may offer you a seat conditionally until you get your OAT scores

Reactions: 1 user