Would the way I plan to spend my gap-year look bad to med schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scaredcurved

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! So I'm about to enroll in a full-time Islamic & Arabic Studies program for the upcoming academic year; It's 60 credit hours in 10 months and consists of classes ranging from Arabic grammar, syntax etc to Islamic jurisprudence, philosophy, history etc. It's a topic I'm super interested in, and along with that I'm involved in other extracurriculars like: on board of directors for a private school, director of charity committees, and charter plan for a new school.. I'm hoping to remain involved in the medical field somehow as well, by voluntering at hospice is what I would like to do.

But please let me know any opinions or thoughts, thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Looking at your post history and seeing that you are a career changer of sorts, my concern would be that you don't seem very enthusiastic to embrace your new found passion for medicine and are doing something quite removed from it during this gap year rather than being all in with medicine and perhaps doing a bit of Arabic study and volunteering on the side as a hobby.

Reactions: 1 users
Ibn Abbas reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “Take advantage of five before five: your youth before your old age, your health before your illness, your riches before your poverty, your free time before your work, and your life before your death.”

Source: Shu’ab al-Imān 9767

Grade: Sahih (authentic) according to Al-Albani

I would do anything to have the opportunity to learn Arabic/Islam and not have to worry about anything else. Assuming everything else is in order (good grades, application submitted), I would not think twice about the decision and would enroll. Of course, try to stay involved in healthcare by volunteering a few weekends a month.

May Allah increase you in knowledge and put barakah in your future medical school career.