Would this be ok?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ash914

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be a sophomore in the fall and I just finished a couple of weeks of shadowing and am trying to figure out what to do next. I've found some volunteering and other things to do, but thats only for a limited amount of time each week. However, I could work a couple of days a week in my dad's office (he's a physician). I saw a similar question iin another topic and it looked like it might not be a good idea since you can't get a LOR from a family member, but that wouldn't be my aim in this case. So would it be alright to work in his office or should I find something (I'd still be getting some volunteering in the hospital and possibly some shadowing in too).

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I would definitely go for it. Like you said, LOR won't be an option but I can't imagine a place you'd get better experience than with someone who is so invested in your success. Definitely do other volunteering too though, cause if that were your only thing it might look kind of odd. Especially since adcoms can't be sure that you spent all the time volunteering there that you say you did. If you're also involved elsewhere they'll see that you were active in several places and in that case understand why you decided to work in your dad's office.

I would ask him to set you up with another doctor that he knows...

I would ask him to set you up with another doctor that he knows...

For shadowing I might ask him to do that, but for just working during the summer I think it might not really be possible. I'll still be volunteering and shadowing though, so I guess I'll just work for him in my extra time.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.