Would this schedule be too difficult while studying for the new mcat in the fall?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asigna

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Are these classes too much while studying for the new mcat in the fall (in your opinion)? I have no problem in tackling them, but I do need time for the mcat as well:

-Physics 1 w/ lab (4)
-Cell Biology (3)
-Brain and Behavior (3)
-Abnormal Psych (3)

Total: 13

Not many credits, but difficulty is there. Plus I will be continuing to volunteer at the hospital and have other extracurriculars going on. Opinions??

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This past semester, I had physics 2 w/ lab (5), Human Development (3), Biochem (4), and a major class (3), which added up to 15 credit hours plus I did research ~10 hours/week and a couple of other extracurriculars. I enrolled in a Princeton Review class that was 9 hours per week, and I probably only had time to study MCAT about 5 hours a week outside of that. That being said, I moved my original test date of May 17 to June 13 so I could spend the month after school (aka right now) focusing solely on the MCAT.

It definitely was the right decision for me, but I am not the kind of person who can go to class, study for class, and then study MCAT all day every day. It can be done, though. I have friends who did it, and from my experience I'd say just free up your time as much as possible. If you are looking at the standard 3 month study plan, extend that since you obviously won't have 8 hours a day to study for the test while you're enrolled in classes. Also, taking physics will be helpful for the MCAT, so that counts for something.

And you can always move the test date. Start studying early. Good luck!

Hey all,

Are these classes too much while studying for the new mcat in the fall (in your opinion)? I have no problem in tackling them, but I do need time for the mcat as well:

-Physics 1 w/ lab (4)
-Cell Biology (3)
-Brain and Behavior (3)
-Abnormal Psych (3)

Total: 13

Not many credits, but difficulty is there. Plus I will be continuing to volunteer at the hospital and have other extracurriculars going on. Opinions??

Thanks!

Ultimately only you know. Are you disciplined enough to study every day on top of homework and volunteering and ECs (oh yeah, and having a social life because you're in college)? Would you take days off because you're "too tired" to study? Could you eliminate some of the ECs or volunteering? Should you really be preparing for the MCAT without having taken physics I?

All questions you need to seriously ask yourself. I have told many people I've tutored, nobody else cares about whether you study enough or had to make an excuse. Are you responsible enough? Don't just default answer "yes, of course." Legitimately think about it. And, as @Lindsey Freeman pointed out, don't hesitate to reschedule the MCAT over 100 measly bucks.

Yeah I see what you mean. I'm planning to study from August-April/May, giving myself a lot of time since I have school and other things going on as well. I'm very disciplined, and could make the sacrifices to do school work and MCAT studying, as well as EC and volunteering. I may not have any free time, but that's life. Of course, I'll give myself off a day here and there to relax. Indeed I haven't taken physics yet, which is why I am taking new mcat. And with that, I'll be probably working on physics portion of mcat while taking physics, or do that portion last. I'll need to get my materials first and then make a really good schedule, and see how my classes end up being with respect to difficulty.

Thanks for the advice and tips!