Would you apply to Purdue, plus other thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nannarnaluk

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm wondering if you would apply to Purdue despite their current probationary accreditation? Overall thoughts on the matter? If you went to Purdue, I'd love to hear about your experience.

I'm currently trying to decide between these schools:
Purdue
Colorado (Long shot I believe but I would love to apply. Not sure if it's worth it)
Iowa
Georgia(???)

I would be out of state for all of these schools. My combined GRE score is 308 and 4.5 on the AW. My overall GPA is a 3.0 (I know ugh) and my science varies based on the school.
I acquired 600 hours of veterinary experience over the summer and have been taking 18-21 hour loads for the last three semesters.
I believe I have strong letters of rec and essays, and have diverse animal experience but no research.

Opinions on which one of these schools I should add to my app would be greatly appreciated.

If you're interested, I'm currently applying to:
Oklahoma
TAMU (IS)
Kansas
Ohio
Missouri

Feel free to give me all your thoughts, you won't hurt my feelings in the least, I know this cycle is a long shot for me.

Members don't see this ad.

As a current Purdue student, I can say that the probationary status should not affect your decision to attend Purdue. The current status is mostly based on the teaching hospital at the moment, which is a bit dated; however, they are currently building a new hospital right now (to be completed in 2022). This should make the correct the status at the next check ;)

Purdue is an excellent school, and if you want any further information I'd be happy to chat with you. Based on the info you've given, I can't really comment on your potential chances. Purdue isn't necessarily concerned about number of hours as much as the diversity of experiences you have.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
At some point, every school has attained probationary status and it's not too concerning tbh. A lot of it has to do with simply keeping up with the times. If you go on a search, you'll see a large number of vet schools have recently or currently updating. Its to change or avoid a probationary status. The only exception would be in the case of low NAVLE pass rates or high attrition rates.

For what it's worth for you specifically, I do not think applying to either Colorado or Georgia is a good idea. Both are highly competitive for out of state students due to numbers (CSU had over 2000 applicants and Georgia accepts very few out of state students to begin with). I would take a look at all the schools again with the number of out of state acceptances, average stats, and holistic approach in mind. Its difficult to give you any more advice than that with the limited info we have on your application.

Reactions: 2 users
A couple of things: as stated above, probationary status is relatively meaningless. First, ten or fifteen years ago, UC Davis sat (for what that's worth) at the very bottom (or close to it) of the rankings. They built a flashy new facility and voila', they rocketed right back to the top. Second, after you get out of vet school, you can't tell a Davis or a Colorado grad from a grad of whatever school ranks lowest. Vets from all schools ask the same questions on various forums. If you are bent on some sort of residency, ranking may play into your selection or rejection, but it really shouldn't.