Would you attend a campus using distance education?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you attend a campus using distance education?

• Yes, I would attend a school using DL

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • No, I would rather attend a school that does not use DL

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters

spacecowgirl

in the bee-loud glade
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Me again with more distance education questions as it looks like this is a very real possibility for the University of South Carolina and the Medical USC. IF YOU HAD YOUR CHOICE - would you prefer to attend a program utilizing distance education for the didactic portions of the curriculum or not? Explanations for your opinions are welcome (and please this is not to diminish in anyway DL, but just to gather opinions).

Thanks!

ETA - I meant to make this a poll, but I got ahead of myself.

So:

1) Yes I would attend a school using DL?
2) No I would rather attend a school that does not use DL?
3) Other????

Members don't see this ad.

I would prefer non-distance learning programs personally... but at this point, i'd take whatever i could get!

I prefer distance learning for classes that don't require a lot of student interaction. When I got my MBA, I took a DL management theory class which was centered around class discussion which proved to be a waste of time because the nature of the class didn't mesh with the delivery. However, other classes which didn't center on student interaction were perfect for me for DL.

DL allows me to do what I want when I want and I find that it works best for me. Other than the lecture, I don't get much out of the classroom. To be honest, other students are more of an distraction for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
It really depends on the subject being taught. Some classes are easier to grasp with open discussion others are just boring lectures without interaction. I'd just as soon watch lectures on my own time and not according to someone else's schedule. For classes that require discussion, I prefer to attend the class. For instance, I get a pharmacology lecture twice a week but go to a discussion session on campus once a week. As I get to my second year, I will be on campus just about every day.

I don't know why they want to close up your school. With the shortage of pharmacists, distance learning should be used to increase the number of pharmacists not to replace a program.

dgroulx said:
I don't know why they want to close up your school. With the shortage of pharmacists, distance learning should be used to increase the number of pharmacists not to replace a program.

Ya got me! We're fighting this proposal hard for lots of reasons, one of which is definitely that it will be a detriment to SC to have fewer pharmacists. We think there's a little something ugly about it and it has more to do with politics than anything else (even money, as a merger would be very $$$).

Please keep the opinions coming :)

Also - which pharmacy classes do you think could be viably taught through DL?

As others have stated, I'll take what I can get. BUT I like that with distant learning I can have more schedule flexibility. With a family, that helps, a lot.

spacecowgirl said:
Also - which pharmacy classes do you think could be viably taught through DL?

Things you can teach online would be biochem, micro, pathophysiology, dosage, calculations and maybe some other stuff that I haven't had yet. But, most of the second year courses are going to require some interaction. We have mock counseling sessions when we are studying a class of drug. How can something like that be done over the internet?

Also, you can't quiz or test over the internet. There would be no way to stop cheaters. People could be working in groups.

Home is nice - and full of distractions - at least for me ;) Several of our students have children and are doing well with on-campus learning.

Dana - those are very good points about controlling honesty. I agree with you on calculations and maybe patho, but on the rest (at least here at USC) I beg to differ. Having access to profs has been absolutely essential for me to excel in the other classes you mentioned and I'm sure for many in the future.

dgroulx said:

http://www.dailygamecock.com/news/662552.html?page=1
(Registration required to view)

Donning their white coats, 300 of the students marched on the South Carolina State House on April 15 to protest the possible merger of USC and MUSC.

Yup, I was one of the people that organized that rally :) I'm on the legislative committee of our newly formed group SAPPSC (Student Alliance to Protect Pharmacy in South Carolina). You can visit us at http://protectpharmacy.org

We're busting our butts to see that our campus does not become a satellite campus - ever. That kind of environment is not what USC is about at all. It might suit some fine, but we don't want it here.

White Coat Rally II is taking place tomorrow as we hit up the Board of Trustees who will be ultimately voting on the merger. I'll let you know what happens. :)

Good luck to all of you, and good luck with the vote! :luck:
Your school has been around for almost 140 years...that's a long, proud tradition of training South Carolina's finest pharmacists. Now that pharmacists and their professional services are required more than ever before, the merger runs counter to society's need for quality healthcare. We're all rooting for you folks to prevail! Give 'em hell!

Thanks, LV!!! And people think pharmacists are generally not activists and difficult to organize - phooey!

Things did not go well with the BOT. The few that our president conveniently selected to speak with us were all in favor of the merger. Then our esteemed president lost his cool and made my classmate cry by yelling at her like she was in kindergarten. Really professional. We've had some real winners for presidents at USC - one is currently serving time for money laundering :rolleyes: Now we get this guy - a reject from Alabama who loves to talk out both sides of his mouth.

At least we found out the grand scheme by one of the older more "eccentric" trustees - the plan is to make a megaplex health science center for the med and nursing schools as well. Our suspicions are confirmed. Hummm, I wonder what those students will have to say about that.