MD & DO Would you date a fellow med student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you date a fellow med student?

• Total voters

Clarus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If so, what would make you want to? If not, why?

Members don't see this ad.

I have dated a fellow med student. It's not a big deal. Just don't cheat on her with a third med student. Then you may have problems.

Reactions: 7 users
I wouldn't. Potential for drama if things go sour. Significant disadvantages with having to couples match if things do work out.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't. Potential for drama if things go sour. Significant disadvantages with having to couples match if things do work out.

Interesting you point out couples match as being a negative. I almost feel like it would be nice that you're both getting uprooted together vs. dating someone outside of medicine where you have to force them to make the difficult decision of changing their trajectory to match yours.

I have a partner but if I was single, I would not date a fellow classmate. Too big of a risk for drama and disruption of education imo. If I was single, I would not be opposed to dating a medical student at a different school but I would not date within my class.

Marrying my classmate and couldn't be happier. Having her by my side and empathizing every step of the way during boards, third year, and residency interviews has been invaluable. Yes, drama may occur but that is entirely dependent on the personalities involved rather than simply being a medical student. Couples matching was a bear but ultimately works out fine for many people (provided both aren't doing an ultra-competitive specialty).

The only scenario in which I could see an issue is both wanting to do the same specialty. None of the med student couples I know have both partners doing the same specialty.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Interesting you point out couples match as being a negative. I almost feel like it would be nice that you're both getting uprooted together vs. dating someone outside of medicine where you have to force them to make the difficult decision of changing their trajectory to match yours.
It's nice getting uprooted together for sure, but a disadvantage from a professional and career goals standpoint. It's much more difficult to match at your personal top choice being part of a couple participating in the match versus applying solo.

It's nice getting uprooted together for sure, but a disadvantage from a professional and career goals standpoint. It's much more difficult to match at your personal top choice being part of a couple participating in the match versus applying solo.

Makes sense. Have there been studies to determine if its harder to match in general if you're applying to something competitive?

Makes sense. Have there been studies to determine if its harder to match in general if you're applying to something competitive?
I don't know, just basing this on the experience of my classmates who went through couples match as well as the anecdotal experience on my psych interview trail where I met numerous couples matching applicants who reportedly had to apply to quadruple the number of programs that I did. Don't know their outcomes. I personally wouldn't want to do that.

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure about studies but it’s fairly common knowledge that couples matching tends to hurt someone. Usually one person is a stronger overall applicant than the other and will have to take a less preferable match. Of course this probably doesn’t matter that much because in a few years you’ll be done and just another attending slogging away through days where nobody gives a crap where you trained. I did know one couple where neither matched their first year because of the couples match and the options they selected.

I think the drama thing is fairly overrated. Most people at this stage in life are a little more responsible and many of the relationships formed during this period will end up being permanent regardless of whether it’s two med students or some other combination. Having relationships with classmates is unlikely to cause problems, but screwing around and having less than honest relationships with multiple classmates will probably end up causing problem stuff.

In reality, when people are attracted to one another, nobody gives a rats arse about any advice we might give.

I don't know, just basing this on the experience of my classmates who went through couples match as well as the anecdotal experience on my psych interview trail where I met numerous couples matching applicants who reportedly had to apply to quadruple the number of programs that I did. Don't know their outcomes. I personally wouldn't want to do that.

Having just couple's matched, we didn't have to apply to more programs than we would have otherwise. We decided what locations we'd be happy at and applied accordingly. Both of us matched at our top choice (a top 20 program for both IM and DR). There are a few caveats to this: both of us were fairly strong candidates for our respective specialities, we advocated for each other when one got an interview somewhere the other didn't, and we were at peace with the possibility of being apart at great program vs ranking a mediocre one together. Ultimately if you play the game like that, and particularly my last point, the couple's match shouldn't hurt you.

I did and it gets weird if it goes sour especially if its a small class size. If you are going to do it try for a different class year where you aren't forced to be around them.