Would you do this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mommy0217

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have research the PharmD schools in Tx and I have found the one I want to go to, I am 110% positive! I dont even want to apply to anywhere else but other people say, I am applying everywhere.. Well I really want to go to this school, when it comes time should I only apply to the school I really want to go to or should I apply to all of them? Would you wait to re-apply to the school you wanted or take the first one who accepted you?

Members don't see this ad.

I have research the PharmD schools in Tx and I have found the one I want to go to, I am 110% positive! I dont even want to apply to anywhere else but other people say, I am applying everywhere.. Well I really want to go to this school, when it comes time should I only apply to the school I really want to go to or should I apply to all of them? Would you wait to re-apply to the school you wanted or take the first one who accepted you?

I would apply to all of the ones you would go to if you were to get accepted. I applied to one school in my state since I wanted to go to only one school at the time.

Apply to all of them if you would go to any school in the state if you were accepted. I would just consider few schools I would really want to attend, and then apply to those.

I only wanted to go to ONE school (UoP) but I still applied to a handful.

Putting all your eggs in one basket in this business is an easy way to lose a year.

Members don't see this ad :)

It's hard to find anyone who wouldn't recommend having at least a few back-up schools in your applications. In the case of Texas, I'd eliminate UIW immediately since it's private (read: insane tuition) and has a more stringent pre-req list.

If I remember right, UT, Tech, and A&M all don't use PharmCAS, so that removes the option of just sending a PCAT score to one place and then using PCAS to send it to your schools.

I say this because I think those are the three schools I sent my scores to.

Best of luck, and hopefully you get the school you want so this discussion is moot!

Did you apply this year, or is this for next year's cycle?

I think this is very situation-dependent.

I applied to two schools, but decided I will withdraw my application from one because it's too far away. Though I wish I had the flexibility to attend any school in the nation, I'm tied to one location due to my family situation. If I don't get into pharmacy school this year I'll be disappointed, but I have to stay close to home. At the worst, it will just mean one more year of work experience and saving money.

If you're single and don't have anybody else to worry about, or simply have a flexible family, apply everywhere. For others with obligations, the answer is less clear cut.

Unless you know for sure you will get accepted... I'll just stop there because there's no way you would know.