Would you go to Temple or Drexel over your state school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorWannaBe

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just admitted to my state school (University of Arizona), and I have interviews scheduled at Temple and Drexel in March (and I'm still waiting for interview invites from Jefferson and GWU). I'm wondering if it is worth going to either of these interviews, or if I should just go to my state school. The tuition is 3 times as expensive at these schools, and while it would be nice to go to school in another state, I'm not sure it is worth the extra money for Temple or Drexel. Also, I don't know the prestige/ranking of University of Arizona, so I'm not sure if Temple or Drexel would provide a better education or a chance at a better residency. Any thoughts on whether I should withdraw my application at Temple & Drexel (or the others if they offer me an interview)? Do either of these schools offer scholarships which would make up for the $20000+ difference in tuition? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a love for Philadelphia, so maybe, if I lived in another state (if your state school is awsome, don't do it). Don't forget about price; it's important.

GWU and Jefferson are in a whole other league though. If accepted at either, I would absolutely go. This happens to be the case for me (I chose Jefferson over Drexel, Temple, GWU and OHSU).

Originally posted by DoctorWannaBe
I was just admitted to my state school (University of Arizona), and I have interviews scheduled at Temple and Drexel in March (and I'm still waiting for interview invites from Jefferson and GWU). I'm wondering if it is worth going to either of these interviews, or if I should just go to my state school. The tuition is 3 times as expensive at these schools, and while it would be nice to go to school in another state, I'm not sure it is worth the extra money for Temple or Drexel. Also, I don't know the prestige/ranking of University of Arizona, so I'm not sure if Temple or Drexel would provide a better education or a chance at a better residency. Any thoughts on whether I should withdraw my application at Temple & Drexel (or the others if they offer me an interview)? Do either of these schools offer scholarships which would make up for the $20000+ difference in tuition? Thanks in advance!
No, it's not worth it. Go to where it's the cheapest. Arizona is a nicer place than Philadelphia.

Members don't see this ad :)
Arizona, even if it wasn't about price.

No real benefit in going to the Philly schools over Arizona from a residency standpoint.If you have money and would like to take the trip just to feel better about your choice ok..but its not necessary.

This is my take on it: In terms of prestige, the top maybe 20-30 schools will give you an edge, but below that, it doesn't really matter anymore. You probably have similar chance of getting a good residency whether you go to U of Arizona, Drexel, or Jefferson.

Now Jefferson in particular may have better clinical training than your state school (The patient population will be different from Arizona), but I'd say go for a cheaper school and end up with less debt.

And finally, see if any of the schools you are considering will give up scholarships. If they do and you feel that you have a good chance, the tuition may end up being a lot less.

Originally posted by CalBeE

And finally, see if any of the schools you are considering will give up scholarships. If they do and you feel that you have a good chance, the tuition may end up being a lot less.

That's what I was wondering about. I heard that Temple has bad financial aid (one of the reasons they were on probation?), and I thought I read that Drexel gives scholarships but I don't know how much. I have no idea about Jefferson or GWU. Does anyone know?

Hi all,

This is exactly my problem. I've been admitted to both Drexel and Texas Tech and I have an interview scheduled for GW. Money is definatly a factor. I like the program at Drexel much better (especially the women's health program) but both tutition and cost of Philly will leave me staggering in debt while at Tech I may be able to leave with only a little bit.

GW, I doubt I will get in so I'm not including it, but I'm glad to have an interview.

Anyway, any thoughts on Drexel v. Texas Tech?

~Abbiequeen :)

I will be choosing Arizona over the schools you mentioned. The other schools didn't seem worth the money to me. If you look at Arizona's match list it is quite good. The only thing these schools will probably help you with is matching somewhere on the east coast. PM me if you want specifics on any of the schools you listed, I went to all of them.

Go to U. Arizona. I got into Drexel, liked it there, but still don't think it's worth the extra 20K. I'm picking my state school. Temple is on probation - I don't even know if I'll bother interviewing there.

Jefferson may be worth going to though for its prestige and curriculum.

GWU is a nice school and it's in DC, a great area, BUT did you know it's one of the top 5 most expensive med schools? Check it out.

Originally posted by DoctorWannaBe
...I read that Drexel gives scholarships but I don't know how much. I have no idea about Jefferson or GWU. Does anyone know?

Jefferson's average debt is pretty low. The school also has incredible scholarship resources (I've been offered a great scholarship package, which made Jeff cheaper than my state school).

There is also no question that residency programs respect Jefferson; the teaching is top of the line and clinical resources are among the best out there.

In Drexels favor, if you consider MCP and Hahneman were both great schools, and in terms of innovative curriculum, they are also very progressive; Drexel will surely overcome the weak reputation now that they are under better management.

Temple will probably improve also, but I imagine it would be harder to have fun outside of school in that neighborhood. Social exposure and access to fun activities outside of school are far better at Penn and Jefferson.

ek6,

Temple if off probation. Look it up on the threads.

tpf

Temple wasn't in the best of positions before, but it's getting better. You want to be at a school that's on the rebound. They're building new facilities, and improving resources for students. They're off probation. Some individual doctors at Temple are the best in their field in Philadelphia (Martin Black from the liver section is one of the top few docs in the area, plus an unnamed IM guy who left a very prestigious school to go to Temple because of less politics)... Their clinical training is also very very strong. The ER dept at Temple is one of the best in the country.

Drexel is unfortunately not doing well at all. Tenet is not managing things well, (MCP Hospital closure) and it is a small risk to go there. However, I hear their curriculum is very solid and they have a decent matchlist, so who knows.

I would go to both interviews. Philly is a nice city, and maybe you will find that one of the schools is an outstanding fit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Supadupafly

Temple will probably improve also, but I imagine it would be harder to have fun outside of school in that neighborhood. Social exposure and access to fun activities outside of school are far better at Penn and Jefferson.

Very few students who go to Temple actually live on the health campus.. Most live in East Falls, Manayunk, or Center City, where they have access to all of the social ammenities as a kid at Upenn or Jeff. I lived out in west philly while attending Penn for 4 yrs and then two more after, and now live two blocks from Jeff. Access to "social activities" has never been a problem for me or any of my classmates. Temple is a commuter campus.

But you'll find that Jeff and Penn both have large percentages of students commuting from other parts of Philly and the surrounding suburbs.

Did research at UA this summer (UBRP). Interviewed at Drexel, Temple is in the ghetto. Go to Arizona! I would have applied but I am out of state!

Rocco

AIM: Rocpen321

Unless you've always dreamed of living in philly, this is a no-brainer. There would be no advantage when applying for residency in going to temple or Drexel over Arizona. Drexel and Temple are attended by students that didn't get into their state schools. You don't fit in that category.

I would certainly go to JH or Harvard over Arizona(as an Arizona resident). I would probably go to schools like Duke, UCSF, and Stanford over Arizona. I might go to Baylor, Washington, Columbia or Penn over Arizona. There may be one or two other schools in the top 15-20 that I would consider going to over Arizona but probably turn down. Below that, I wouldn't even consider anywhere else.

no brainer.

go to your state school unless money is not an issue for you.

agree with poster who says that unless you go to one of the top 10 med schools (in name) ie. harvard, columbia, hopkins, etc... -- it's not worth it.

you'll get a good training at any med school.

finally, philly sucks. if you do come here for med school, you'll find yourself praying to get out for residency.

Originally posted by meanderson
Drexel and Temple are attended by students that didn't get into their state schools. You don't fit in that category.

Actually, Temple is the state school for Pennsylvania, so my class is most filled with people who DID get into their state school.

Cancel your interviews

Arizona reputation is better than either Temple or Drexel.

How can you beat the cost- unless they give you a huge scholarship which is pretty unlikely?

Arizona is a much better place to live than Philly unless you are dead set on being in a big city. Temple is also in the ghetto as stated above.

There are only a small number of schools that would be worth going to over Arizona ... Stanford, Hopkins, Harvard and the like. Even that could be debatable depending on what your goals are...:cool:

Actually, Temple is the state school for Pennsylvania, so my class is most filled with people who DID get into their state school.

what? i think penn state is the state school. temple may have a lot of pennsylvania students but it's not the state school -- at least i'm 99% sure.

The state school all the way!!!!! Unless I have a compelling reason such as wanting to get a residency in PA or something, I wouldn't even bother. :)

I would have to agree with CalBeE that prestige doesn't become much of an issue when talking about schools outside of top 30 or so. :)

Temple is the "ghetto" state school, hershey is the "chocholate" one.

What about Texas Tech v. Drexel?

~Abbiequeen :)