Penn State vs Buffalo vs Temple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackie3333

Reaction score
CONTEXT: I’ve received acceptances to both Penn State and Buffalo, waiting on a decision from Temple!

I’m pretty set on Buffalo at the moment due to in-state tuition + I want to do heme/onc and they have a good cancer center. Upon interviewing at Temple I’m conflicted because it’s in more of an urban setting which is what I’m used to.

MORE CONTEXT: Im from NYC and want to return to NYC for residency + do a fellowship at MSK.

I like that Buffalo has a decent amount to do outside of school but it’s not too distracting?

Temple seems like the pre-clinical years would be a blast, especially being in Philly. I’m worried about it being in North Philly though due to the crime rate. I’m also worried about 3/4 years where I’m not sure where my rotation sites are. Some of the rural sites are extremely far and I truly do not want to drive.

I wonder if you all have any insight on the curriculum differences and what rotations look like + electives / research opportunities etc etc.

My priorities are really cost of attendance + heme/onc involvement + not having to travel far to get anywhere.

Does the name of either of these schools hold better when I’m applying to residencies back in NYC?

Members don't see this ad.