Would you lie to save your patients life?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

houseobsessed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
possibly get in trouble? or have you already:xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Someone just watched a recent episode of House.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to get them in the ambulance a couple times, "SIR your spine could be fractured I HAVE to back board you".

But generally I use the guilt trip:

"I see those pictures of grandchildren on the wall, you love them don't you? If we left you and you had a heart attack and died how would they remember the rest of their {Insert nearest holiday here}. They may even start blaming themselves."

Last edited:
I have to get them in the ambulance a couple times, "SIR your spine could be fractured I HAVE to back board you".

But generally I use the guilt trip:

"I see those pictures of grandchildren on the wall, you love them don't you? If we left you and you had a heart attack and died how would they remember the rest of their {Insert nearest holiday here}. They may even start blaming themselves."

That's not really lying. It IS possible the person has a spinal fracture even if you can't find an obvious point of injury or the person lacks telltale s/s. Additionally, sometimes reluctant pts intentionally "forget" to mention a Hx of back problems or some major s/s that would have strongly indicated an ED visit. There's a reason they teach us to exaggerate the possibilities so much!

No, I would just let them die. That way I wouldn't feel guilty about lying.

No, I would just let them die. That way I wouldn't feel guilty about lying.

www_plus613_net_tmpIstabbedherandwatchedherbleedtodeath.jpg

It's really a silly question. I'm sure you saw your tv show, and you now understand how breakiing the rules can be beneficial and necessary.

Lying to a patient really just destroys the CYA rule. Then you get into funny little things like law-suits and hospital board reviews, and my personal favorite, your license taken away. And then all those patients you could have saved by NOT breaking the rules, now you don't save...but hell, you saved the ONE!!!!

It depends on the situation, but it is worth considering for a human life.

No. If he dies, he dies.

No, I'd just let him/her die for being idiots. Besides, less work for me.

But I would lie to make more cash though. Can't wait to tell a patient they need complex spine surgery from a golf buddy of mine when they only have a temporary ache XD.