Would you make the switch?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edwardmatt83

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say you had a good job that you liked. The schedule was the best part - you got a 5-day break every 3 weeks, but you worked for a financially unstable organization that could go bankrupt at any time. You have never received a bonus because the company does so poorly. They do not match 401k. You work 10 hour shifts which can be hard on your wife and 3 small kids. You work by yourself in a retail setting - no technician - so you have to do everything yourself. It's not terrible, but some days can really suck.

You are offered another job - The pay is the same. Benefits cost $350 less per month, and drop your deductible from $4k to $750 (This would be nice - just had a baby and cost was $5k out-of-pocket). They match up to 4% in the 401k and you get at least a 2% raise each year. You work Mon-Fri, from 9-5. This job is not like anything you have done before - you will be moving from retail, to a more clinical setting. 3 weeks of vacation to start out. No weekends.

What say ye?

Members don't see this ad.

My biggest obstacle is we bought a house last year - I would want to sell it and move a little closer so I can continue to commute by bike to work. Otherwise I would have a 45-minute commute each way.

Still worth the move if I were in your shoes. Sounds like job 2 is much more stable for the same pay and better benefits and no weekends. Even without moving a 45 minute commute isn't terrible so long as you have a decently gas efficient car.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. A 45 minute commute is not bad and the stability alone would make it worthwhile, especially since you have a family.

I understand change is scary but it seems like you'd be moving to bigger and better things.

Be The Best U Can Be

I'd switch in a heart beat! The 45 mins commute is NOTHING! I am driving almost an hour everyday to work (and back home another hour) and it's not a problem (At least to me); and I switch to this from a hellish position at one of the big boxes (the one which counts incoming calls as one two three etc. ;) If you are a bit worried about the clinical changes you'll handle, please don't be. My first day at the new job was scary too but things smoothed out over time as long as you're willing to learn and take initiative. Keep in mind that now you'll start a family and thus job stability and ability to provide for your kids are very very important. You can be single and broke and eat ramen noddles for a month and it's still OK for a dude but your kids can't

I would switch just for the Monday-Friday schedule alone. And same pay as well? Heck yeah.

Factoring in cheaper health care, 2% raise, bonus, and an extra 4% in the 401k...that is about a $16k increase compared to what I am getting now...I think my decision is getting a little easier to make.

Reactions: 1 users