would you perform vitrectomy on?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crestfallen000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
disclaimer: I am not seeking medical advice. I am asking about indications of vitrectomy in the following case.

Generally it is said that vitrectomy will only be done for eye floaters when they significantly obscure one's vision. Near blindness territory.

Would any surgeon here perform vitrectomy on a patient who saw from both eyes as shown in the picture below?

eyefloater.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Just be a baus and perform a vitrectomy on yourself. All you need is a mirror. I kid, I kid :p But seriously haven't floaters been beaten to death on this forum? Do a search of previous topics.

Last edited:
problem with doing a PPV for floaters is..the patient is going to get a cataract..not the end of the day as long as they have been properly informed preoperatively..However, in a clear lens normal accommodating younger patient, removing a cataract induced by a PPV is not good. No IOL replacement including Restor or crystalens is going to approach the vison they had with their normal lens..

Members don't see this ad :)
disclaimer: I am not seeking medical advice. I am asking about indications of vitrectomy in the following case.

Generally it is said that vitrectomy will only be done for eye floaters when they significantly obscure one's vision. Near blindness territory.

Would any surgeon here perform vitrectomy on a patient who saw from both eyes as shown in the picture below?

eyefloater.jpg

They sell eye drops in the pharmacy for things like that. :D

im sure they do..do you really believe they work?? if you do..i have some property in florida you may be interested in buying

eyefloater.jpg

Haven't you already posted on this topic under a different username, collosalmockery, I believe? If not, you should do a thread search. Noticed you even have a blog about your floaters, so you obviously have an agenda. Listen, the fact is you are talking about a condition that, for the overwhelming majority, is benign and nowhere near debilitating. Heck, I have floaters in my left eye and function just fine. For a rare few, of which you may be one, it can be a significant issue. Surgical intervention, with laser or vitrectomy, is not without risks, including blindness. You and your surgeon need to determine whether the potential benefits outweigh the risks. End of discussion.

Haven't you already posted on this topic under a different username, collosalmockery, I believe? If not, you should do a thread search. Noticed you even have a blog about your floaters, so you obviously have an agenda. Listen, the fact is you are talking about a condition that, for the overwhelming majority, is benign and nowhere near debilitating. Heck, I have floaters in my left eye and function just fine. For a rare few, of which you may be one, it can be a significant issue. Surgical intervention, with laser or vitrectomy, is not without risks, including blindness. You and your surgeon need to determine whether the potential benefits outweigh the risks. End of discussion.
are yours as bad as shown in the pic above?

No, I am not collosalmockery.

No, mine is less than half that size and is in my non-dominant left eye. It can be rather annoying, but is tolerable. It would have to get much, much, much worse for me to ever consider intervention. If I were to lose vision with an elective procedure, my career would be over and my disability insurance would likely not cover me. Not worth the risk...for me.

Incision surgery is no joke. Even a simple PPV in a pseudophakic patient has real risks of iatrogenic tears, vitreous hemorrhage, and the occasional endophthalmitis. Try doing a few and you'll realize that there is an element of unpredictability that threatens to ruin even "straightforward" cases. No mainstream retina surgeon that I know would operate on that.

I tell pseudophakic pts with floaters to leave them alone. If they are really bothered and it is affecting the way they want to live their life...then give them a full and fair informed consent regarding PPV surgery. Just as a 20/60 cataract may not be bothersome to some folks, a 20/25 cataract may be very annoying to others..let the pt decide, what they want to do with a fair and complete informed consent and document this well obviously.

I am conservative and do not recommend PPV for vitreous floaters. It's not worth the risk to remove floaters.

Over the years, I've grown to be fond of my floaters. They keep me entertained when I'm bored to death in presentations and meetings.

I would not recommend surgery for floaters. I would do everything I could to talk the patient out of surgery. BUT, if floaters were extremely bothersome after several years and follow up visits and all the risks, benefits, alternatives etc were discussed in detail, and the patient was pseudophakic without other pathology...I would definitely consider it. Phakic pt with lattice, monocular pt, or if some other comorbidity...prob not.