Would you recommend your current PT program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MOState22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current DPT students, which program do you currently attend and are you happy with your decision? Would you honestly recommend your program to others applying?

Members don't see this ad.

I currently attend LLU right now. It's been 5 weeks and I been loving it. I love my campus cause its a faith based school. So seeing things eye to eye on religion and faith plays a big role for me. I also love how my school doesn't force religion down your throat. All my professors are helpful, funny, and intelligent. I would recommend anyone (non religious or religious) to my school. Our school does not discriminate, we respect everyone's own life and background.

I currently attend LLU right now. It's been 5 weeks and I been loving it. I love my campus cause its a faith based school. So seeing things eye to eye on religion and faith plays a big role for me. I also love how my school doesn't force religion down your throat. All my professors are helpful, funny, and intelligent. I would recommend anyone (non religious or religious) to my school. Our school does not discriminate, we respect everyone's own life and background.

long time no talk, how are you liking pt school so far? I feel like I've been in school for a year and it's only been two months lol. What classes are you taking?

And yes, I would also recommend my school. It has a campus feel and the classes aren't just confined to one building. I appreciate this because it makes it feel less like a prison :D. it's always nice to breathe some fresh air and enjoy the great outdoors between classes. The professors are great, we have a few fellows on our faculty which is awesome. I like the community feel of the school. It's strictly a healthcare campus so its nice to talk with students from other professions and build those relationships. The different classes of pt students also mingle quite a bit, which is a definite plus in that they are always there and willing to answer questions/concerns.

Members don't see this ad :)
And yes, I would also recommend my school. It has a campus feel and the classes aren't just confined to one building. I appreciate this because it makes it feel less like a prison :D. it's always nice to breathe some fresh air and enjoy the great outdoors between classes. The professors are great, we have a few fellows on our faculty which is awesome. I like the community feel of the school. It's strictly a healthcare campus so its nice to talk with students from other professions and build those relationships. The different classes of pt students also mingle quite a bit, which is a definite plus in that they are always there and willing to answer questions/concerns.

Going to Midwestern Glendale? Down the street from my house, haha. I've seriously known literally hundreds of Midwestern students over the years through church...

long time no talk, how are you liking pt school so far? I feel like I've been in school for a year and it's only been two months lol. What classes are you taking?

Nicolej5! My virtual pen pal :). I been loving every moment. Except the times Im studying the night before my test haha. I love my professors, cohort, campus, and the lifestyle of Loma Linda. Serious! I feel like its been a long @ss time but its only been 7 weeks. I just got done with my 9 unit intense anatomy course (1st half of the quarter and im going to be taking kinisology, muscle manual testing, and death and dying psychology course (2nd half of the quarter). Anatomy was pretty intense haha. But I feel like I know the human body in another lvl. So much information with so little time. I cant wait to start Manual Muscle Testing soon. How about you? What classes are you in? I literally have no time. I used to check student doctor like every other minute... now its once for every 3 weeks haha.

Nicolej5! My virtual pen pal :). I been loving every moment. Except the times Im studying the night before my test haha. I love my professors, cohort, campus, and the lifestyle of Loma Linda. Serious! I feel like its been a long @ss time but its only been 7 weeks. I just got done with my 9 unit intense anatomy course (1st half of the quarter and im going to be taking kinisology, muscle manual testing, and death and dying psychology course (2nd half of the quarter). Anatomy was pretty intense haha. But I feel like I know the human body in another lvl. So much information with so little time. I cant wait to start Manual Muscle Testing soon. How about you? What classes are you in? I literally have no time. I used to check student doctor like every other minute... now its once for every 3 weeks haha.

haha that's awesome! I'm liking it for the most part. Our quarter ends August 15 so I'm counting down the days lol. I'm in anatomy, tissue rehab, professionalism, clinical problem solving and medical term. Next quarter is kinesiology/biomechanics, physiology, pt eval and a few other I can't remember. it's been a grind but that's ok. Yea, i usually only get on and post once every couple weeks when I have exam crazy schedules but I'm pretty free now thankfully.

Yes. Hands down.

I go to Rosalind Franklin and absolutely love it. Would recommend it over and over again to anyone I know.

Reactions: 1 user
Stax, why would you choose Ros Franklin if you had to do it over again?

Thought I would chime in here.

I currently attend Governors State University. This school usually gets a bad rap because of the neighborhood, but I love it. The small class size, amazing faculty, and low cost really helped me solidify my decision to attend here.

I was also accepted at Midwestern University and Northwestern University. However, the debt that I would incur at those institutions was far too large for me to justify going there. There are many factors that should go into your decision when choosing a program but cost should be near the top of your list.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I was also accepted at Midwestern University and Northwestern University. However, the debt that I would incur at those institutions was far too large for me to justify going there. There are many factors that should go into your decision when choosing a program but cost should be near the top of your list.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Good call

I am a 2nd year student currently at Emory DPT. I really like the program overall. I think this program emphasizes patient/family education. I've seen a lot of PTs out there that don't even bother to educate the patient on... well, anything haha and so I think this is a very important part of our job as PTs. The program also develops critical thinkers and problem solvers, which have really shown in the clinic. Every CI i have had compliments me on my problem solving skills, IPC, and patient education. My classmates can echo the same sentiment. The campus is gorgeous too.

Yes. Hands down.

I go to Rosalind Franklin and absolutely love it. Would recommend it over and over again to anyone I know.

:laugh: Wait until you get past your first year, bud. Much less past just learning how to adjust assistive devices and draping. It's not all bunnies and rainbows. For example, our clinical education is complete crap.

:laugh: Wait until you get past your first year, bud. Much less past just learning how to adjust assistive devices and draping. It's not all bunnies and rainbows. For example, our clinical education is complete crap.

What do you mean by "our clinical education is complete crap"? Does DPT school get easier once you get through the 1st year?

In my program, the amount of information you learn gets less dense after the 1st year. I won't say it gets easier. It might be less memorization because we're more familiar with terms, structures, concepts, etc. Everything builds on everything else.

A word of caution: if a program says they have "300 clinical education sites" or "400 clinical affiliations," pre-PTs need to realize that this doesn't guarantee clinical quality or even quantity. The list that Rosalind Franklin makes its students pick from barely has enough sites for each student. A good 1/4 or 1/3 of my class is either moving or commuting more than 1.5-2 hrs for our upcoming clinical. Unacceptable for the tuition we're coughing up. Talk to current SPTs or a recent grad PT for some ways to evaluate your potential program's clinical site lists.

Illineyedpt, do you currently attend Rosalind Franklin ?

I find it pretty hard to gather information on clinical sites, how many they have, what the competition is like, etc. Do you have any advice on how to get a better sense other than asking current students? I guess that's always a good question to ask during the interview process.

I find it pretty hard to gather information on clinical sites, how many they have, what the competition is like, etc. Do you have any advice on how to get a better sense other than asking current students? I guess that's always a good question to ask during the interview process.

Yes. It's hard to gather information on clinical education. Plus once you've gathered that info, if you haven't been through the clinical process, it's tough to know how to analyze it. The info's worth can be different depending on each person's priorities in life -- if they wanna travel, if they wanna save money, if their only goal is to get a good CI.

Clinical education is complicated because clinic quality, clinician quality, and CI quality don't always trend together. You could have a site at Mayo Clinic. It's universally renowned. The CI there could be an excellent clinician, informed by evidence, focused on patient outcomes. But the CI is bad at transferring knowledge onto the SPT and/or supervising the SPT. Or any combo of good/bad things.

In my humble opinion, the only way to know if there are red flags with clin ed is to get your hands on a current full time clinical list for a current DPT class. Maybe others have suggestions but if the list has a lot of setting variety and most of the clinics are by your school or at least in large cities, it should be OK.

Some red flags are if there are a lot of SNFs, OP ortho chains, especially if they're out of town or out in the middle of nowhere, South Dakota. (That doesn't seem right to me because there are a lot of SNFs or OP ortho chains that would be fine with taking on a student.) Or maybe a considerable percentage of sites are a bad commute from the college or are totally out of the area. (This gets old fast.) Think realistically about what your priorities would be during these clinicals and see if their average list can meet your needs. God's speed!

PS I don't mean to bash on SNFs or chains because there are a lot of good therapists out there.

What are your thoughts and other people's thoughts on schools that require at least one clinical to be out of town?

What are your thoughts and other people's thoughts on schools that require at least one clinical to be out of town?

I'm not trying to be facetious but would you want to be required to do one out of town?

What is the program's thought process on that requirement? To get their kids to sample regional PT differences? Different state practice acts? Sounds kind of unnecessary because most PTs or DPT3s I've met have had at least one out of towner or one commute from hell -- myself included.

Again, it depends on your ability and willingness to skip town. The availability of clinicals, and expectation of availability, changes if you end up going to a program in a rural area vs. a program in a metropolitan area. So the expectations and clinicals of students at Pacific University (commutable from Portland) would be different than if it were located 3 hours away from Portland. Having that requirement in our Bizarro Pacific University would be a given. That requirement at the true Pacific University would seem a little ridiculous. But that's just me.

Texas Woman's University - Institute for Health Sciences Houston.

Yes, I would hands down recommend this program.