Would you retake these classes post-bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted74029

I'm considering retaking many of my undergrad classes to boost my GPA, I got a C in CHEM 2, O-CHEM 1 and 2 and Physics. Should I retake these after I graduate to make myself a better applicant (I'm very confident I will make A's due to my difference in mindset and fervency between then and now) or should I pursue a masters? I don't really want to pursue a Masters Degree due to there not being many 1 year masters programs in my area.

Members don't see this ad.

Take them after you graduate as opposed to before you graduate? Isn't it way more expensive to take classes as a post-bacc? If they're the same classes, just postpone graduation and retake them, if it's cheaper.

hmm, what does your overall gpa look like? i would suggest graduate first, don't postpone your degree...you can always retake these classes at a community college...=]

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm, what does your overall gpa look like? i would suggest graduate first, don't postpone your degree...you can always retake these classes at a community college...=]

Overall 3.0 Science 2.8
30+ on many of my MCAT test preps.
Vice-President of my fraternity.
Student Government for 2+ years.
Lot of research experience and ECs.
Shadowed family practice, GI, and general surgeon.
URM (African American, but I'd rather get in on my own merit, not race.)

So basically the only thing holding me back is that horrible GPA. I have my senior year left where I believe I will do very well but probably not well enough to get into medical school. (It doesnt matter what school I just want an MD)

I don't agree with the community college idea. Most of the schools that I applied to preferred prereqs to be completed at a major university. I think you should retake them at your university before graduating. Also, the adcom at UMiami liked that I was working on a 1 yr non-thesis masters instead of doing post-bac. My interviewer said it was great that I would have additional degree for my CV. I know there aren't many 1 year masters programs in your area, but I would still consider it or a formal pre-med, post-bac program. Really, like you said, your gpa is the only thing holding you back.

Overall 3.0 Science 2.8
30+ on many of my MCAT test preps.
Vice-President of my fraternity.
Student Government for 2+ years.
Lot of research experience and ECs.
Shadowed family practice, GI, and general surgeon.

So basically the only thing holding me back is that horrible GPA. I have my senior year left where I believe I will do very well but probably not well enough to get into medical school. (It doesnt matter what school I just want an MD)
Applying as a URM doesn't mean you "don't get it on your own merit". If you are an African-American you should apply as a URM. Affirmative action isn't a system that just "gives" things out, it is a system that helps to even out biases in the system...

Applying as a URM doesn't mean you "don't get it on your own merit". If you are an African-American you should apply as a URM. Affirmative action isn't a system that just "gives" things out, it is a system that helps to even out biases in the system...

Yeah I understand that, but a white or middle-eastern person wouldn't get accepted to many if any schools with those stats. I'd rather get in with stats that would allow me to get accepted to a medical school regardless of rather I was black or white. But I'd be lying if I said I would deny an acceptance to a medical school if I thought me being black was a big factor in it. I'd just kinda feel bad about it ya know?

I agree with dArroway. It is difficult to get into med school no matter who you are, so you might as well use every opportunity you have. And, with 30+ on MCAT, you obviously have merit.

I'm considering retaking many of my undergrad classes to boost my GPA, I got a C in CHEM 2, O-CHEM 1 and 2 and Physics. Should I retake these after I graduate to make myself a better applicant (I'm very confident I will make A's due to my difference in mindset and fervency between then and now) or should I pursue a masters? I don't really want to pursue a Masters Degree due to there not being many 1 year masters programs in my area.

yes, you need to retake. your BCMP GPA (if you didn't have many other science classes) will be very low; probably below a 3.0. you need to post-bacc those classes into oblivion and hope that medical schools notice the upward trend. good luck!

Ashers said:
Take them after you graduate as opposed to before you graduate? Isn't it way more expensive to take classes as a post-bacc? If they're the same classes, just postpone graduation and retake them, if it's cheaper.

in my experience, it is way cheaper to take them as a post-bacc because you're not formally a degree-seeking student; hence tuition is less. my girlfriend and i met in organic chemistry lab (romantic, i know). she was an undergrad and i was a post-bacc; she was paying ~$4,000 for the class and i was paying $1,250.

disseminate this information carefully around here. many people are petulant little children when it comes to race issues and URM status.

Yeah I understand that, but a white or middle-eastern person wouldn't get accepted to many if any schools with those stats. I'd rather get in with stats that would allow me to get accepted to a medical school regardless of rather I was black or white. But I'd be lying if I said I would deny an acceptance to a medical school if I thought me being black was a big factor in it. I'd just kinda feel bad about it ya know?

I think of URM status and any advantages it confers in the same way as instate residency...it is a fact, just be happy you have something in your favor...

Also, do not hide your URM status when applying - it not only can help you with admissions, but schools often hold special re-visit days (and paid travel) for URMs, and many schools have special fin aid for URMs...

Here is another thing that confuses me:

Most ppl apply after their junior year, so if I wait until next cycle wouldn't I be applying after my senior year which means even though I retake classes after I graduate the adcoms wouldn't even see those grades because my app is already in?

Here is another thing that confuses me:

Most ppl apply after their junior year, so if I wait until next cycle wouldn't I be applying after my senior year which means even though I retake classes after I graduate the adcoms wouldn't even see those grades because my app is already in?

well, you probably would not want to apply until the classes had been completed and put on a transcript somewhere. i think some schools screen based on numbers and a sub-3.0 science would probably hurt your app.

well, you probably would not want to apply until the classes had been completed and put on a transcript somewhere. i think some schools screen based on numbers and a sub-3.0 science would probably hurt your app.

I agree with Nu2004.

Do you have your heart set on allopathic medical schools? Or would osteopathic medical schools be an option for you? The reason I ask is because for allopathic schools, when you retake a class, it doesn't replace your prior grade. So if you retake Physics and get an A, your average for Physics is still a B since you got a C the first time. For osteopathic schools, your A is the one that counts, not your C. It's a faster way of boosting that science GPA.

Also, I would take them as a post-bacc student for one simple reason. On the application, all your grades are separated so that you have a freshman GPA, sophomore GPA, junior GPA, and senior GPA. If you take classes post-bacc, then you also have a separate post-bacc GPA. Say you take 32 hours of science post-bacc with a 4.0, you'll have at least one category that shows a 4.0 and that will draw attention, whereas if you take these classes your senior year, it gets mixed into an already low GPA.

^ both good points.