WREB Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

briansle

Cell A
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought I post my experience with this exam, in case it might help others.

JUNE 2010: Pass all. Except Operative. Got a 2.97.:eek: (no pink slips)

AUGUST 2010: Failed Operative again. 2.99 :confused:(1 pat reject)

DECEMBER 2010: Passed all sections.:)

All at USC. I recommend not taking it at SC. I think LLU has a better pass rate.

Hopefully nobody else has to go through the experience I had. I feel that the grading is very subjective. This is not a multiple choice exam where the results are either A,B, or C. I think luck plays a big factor in this exam. They say the graders are all calibrated, but these are human beings. You might have an easy grader, or a picky one. Luck of the draw. The only ways to prepare for this exam is:

A) Patient Selection : find lesions that on first glance you would not see radiographically. On my third try I had no more patients left, so I wound up purchasing a patient through a service and realized what an "ideal lesion" really is. On the radiograph, it barely touches the DEJ and all you see is a thin line through the enamel. No triangles, that's already too big. The only way you could see the lesion is by looking really really hard (I thought it would be rejected..). Do Maxillary Premolars Only. I think they also grade much tougher on Class III's. You do not get bonus points for treating a tougher lesion.

B) Dental Assistant who assists at WREB exams professionally: These people do exist, and they are key. I found mine through the patient finding service I used. There's a group of ladies, who essentially just fly around the country assisting WREB candidates. I believe they're based out of Central CA. I finally used one on my third try, and she was the only reason I passed. I had no assistant the first time (I know I was cocky..) Second time I just used a regular dental assistant (useless). Third time, I used a professional WREB assistant. They do it all. They can identify a qualifying lesion, they have all the equipment, fill out all the paperwork, tell you what an ideal prep is suppose to look like, (essentially coach you on what the graders are looking for), makes sure your restoration is passable, and most importantly - rubber dam. Placing a rubber dam during WREB, can give you ulcers. My assistant told me straight up, "all you need to do is inject anesthesia, and drill." And seriously, that's all I had to worry about. These ladies do WREB exams for a living, and it may cost you $800-$900, but its worth every penny. Trust me, you do not want to risk repeating the operative portion of this exam. Spend whatever you need to pass the first time.

(PM me and I'll give you the contact info for the assistant I used.)

Members don't see this ad.