-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Wreb
Started by SBDS
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Amalgams rely on mechanical retention so the prep has to have parallel walls, sharp internal line angles, retention features such as dovetails and grooves, and preps are into dentin.
Composites rely mainly on enamel binding and not on mechanical retention. You don't need dovetails or retention grooves unless entirely in dentin such as the gingival wall on a class V in which the margin is on a root surface. Preps are conservative as possible and internal line angles are rounded. Cavosurface margins are beveled when on enamel.
I think that's the main gist of it, but of course depending on the exact prep, there could be additional features involved.
Composites rely mainly on enamel binding and not on mechanical retention. You don't need dovetails or retention grooves unless entirely in dentin such as the gingival wall on a class V in which the margin is on a root surface. Preps are conservative as possible and internal line angles are rounded. Cavosurface margins are beveled when on enamel.
I think that's the main gist of it, but of course depending on the exact prep, there could be additional features involved.
crazy_sherm said:Amalgams rely on mechanical retention so the prep has to have parallel walls, sharp internal line angles, retention features such as dovetails and grooves, and preps are into dentin.
Composites rely mainly on enamel binding and not on mechanical retention. You don't need dovetails or retention grooves unless entirely in dentin such as the gingival wall on a class V in which the margin is on a root surface. Preps are conservative as possible and internal line angles are rounded. Cavosurface margins are beveled when on enamel.
I think that's the main gist of it, but of course depending on the exact prep, there could be additional features involved.
Hi,
Thanks for the quick answer,really appreciate it.
SBDS said:Hi,
Thanks for the quick answer,really appreciate it.
----
For a detailed and accurate answer, please consult the WREB Candidate Guide
http://www.wreb.org/dental/dentalPDFs/2Operative06.pdf
On pages 14 and 15 of this section (pages 30 and 31 of the overall guide), the Scoring Criteria Rating Scale gives you details for the three categories of Outline & Extension, Internal Form, and Operative Environment. If you meet those with a score of 3 or better, you should have no difficulty with the exam.
Having sat in as an official observer for a recent WREB exam, I can assure you that the Candidate Guide is an excellent resource for the clinical exam.
Good luck!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
DSFac said:----
For a detailed and accurate answer, please consult the WREB Candidate Guide
http://www.wreb.org/dental/dentalPDFs/2Operative06.pdf
On pages 14 and 15 of this section (pages 30 and 31 of the overall guide), the Scoring Criteria Rating Scale gives you details for the three categories of Outline & Extension, Internal Form, and Operative Environment. If you meet those with a score of 3 or better, you should have no difficulty with the exam.
Having sat in as an official observer for a recent WREB exam, I can assure you that the Candidate Guide is an excellent resource for the clinical exam.
Good luck!
Hi,
Thanks for the advice.
1. In the endo section they say ,THE RUBBER DAM PLACEMENT MUST SIMULATE PROPER PLACEMENT ON A PT,COVERING ALL OTHER TEETH.THE RUBBER DAM
}"LAYING ONLY ON ONE ARCH IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.What does that mean the dam should extend form where to where?
2.When the operative pt is being aproved can i be setting up for that pt?After I do the preperation part and pt's being graded where do I have to be ,I mean will I be setting up for the restoration part or will i b waiting outside for the pt to return ?Once I finish with the Amalgam or composite restoration and put the pt in line for the grading.Do I have to wait for him to return or can I start with the next pt( operative pt).
3.When can I put the second operative pt in line for approval.Can I ask him to be in line by himself while I am doing my first operative pt?
4.In the periodontal treatment worksheetin the end there is a column for special comments to examiners-MAKE SURE EXAMINERS INITIAL YOUR COMMENTS:1 AT ACCEPTANCE,3 FOR TREATMENT.WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?
What kind of comments do v writefor what?
5.On page 26,AFTER THE PREPERATION GRADE THE C PART,MODIFICATION OF THE APPROXIMATING SURFACE OF ADJACENT TOOTH MAY ONLY BE DONE AFTER THE PREPERATION GRADE HAS BEEN COMPLETED.wHAT DOES THAT MEAN.
IF ANYBODY CAN ANSWER ME OR GIVE ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE,OR EVEN IF ANYONE CAN ANSWER A PART QUESTION IT WOULD BE GREAT.I don't know if everyone has such q's but I feel I am the only one with such silly q's.
Thank you.
SBDS said:Hi,
Thanks for the advice.
1. In the endo section they say ,THE RUBBER DAM PLACEMENT MUST SIMULATE PROPER PLACEMENT ON A PT,COVERING ALL OTHER TEETH.THE RUBBER DAM
}"LAYING ONLY ON ONE ARCH IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.What does that mean the dam should extend form where to where?
2.When the operative pt is being aproved can i be setting up for that pt?After I do the preperation part and pt's being graded where do I have to be ,I mean will I be setting up for the restoration part or will i b waiting outside for the pt to return ?Once I finish with the Amalgam or composite restoration and put the pt in line for the grading.Do I have to wait for him to return or can I start with the next pt( operative pt).
3.When can I put the second operative pt in line for approval.Can I ask him to be in line by himself while I am doing my first operative pt?
4.In the periodontal treatment worksheetin the end there is a column for special comments to examiners-MAKE SURE EXAMINERS INITIAL YOUR COMMENTS:1 AT ACCEPTANCE,3 FOR TREATMENT.WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?
What kind of comments do v writefor what?
5.On page 26,AFTER THE PREPERATION GRADE THE C PART,MODIFICATION OF THE APPROXIMATING SURFACE OF ADJACENT TOOTH MAY ONLY BE DONE AFTER THE PREPERATION GRADE HAS BEEN COMPLETED.wHAT DOES THAT MEAN.
IF ANYBODY CAN ANSWER ME OR GIVE ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE,OR EVEN IF ANYONE CAN ANSWER A PART QUESTION IT WOULD BE GREAT.I don't know if everyone has such q's but I feel I am the only one with such silly q's.
Thank you.
6.I have one more question.On page 25 under VIII.MODIFICATION PROCEDURE.WHAT DOES EXTENT ( REFER TO GREATER THAN THE MAXIMUM FOR A "5" SCORING CRITERIA) MEAN?
The endo typodont opens up 180 degrees, so it is impossible to simulate normal rubber dam coverage. When I took the exam we all ended up having to make additional holes in the dam and used about three clamps to keep the dam in place and tucked the frame under the mandible. Which then closed the typodont into a more natural mouth position. It wasn't as bad as it sounds, worked out fine.
You don't need to wait with your patient in line. You don't even have to walk them over. They can walk over alone or with your assistant. The only problem with starting on your next pt before the first one has been released is if they request you make a modification. THis happened to me...I had run up to start my endo session and they wanted me to adjust the occlusion of the restoration, so I had to come back down and take care of that. Fortunately I had not started the endo yet.
You don't need to wait with your patient in line. You don't even have to walk them over. They can walk over alone or with your assistant. The only problem with starting on your next pt before the first one has been released is if they request you make a modification. THis happened to me...I had run up to start my endo session and they wanted me to adjust the occlusion of the restoration, so I had to come back down and take care of that. Fortunately I had not started the endo yet.
sanara said:The endo typodont opens up 180 degrees, so it is impossible to simulate normal rubber dam coverage. When I took the exam we all ended up having to make additional holes in the dam and used about three clamps to keep the dam in place and tucked the frame under the mandible. Which then closed the typodont into a more natural mouth position. It wasn't as bad as it sounds, worked out fine.
You don't need to wait with your patient in line. You don't even have to walk them over. They can walk over alone or with your assistant. The only problem with starting on your next pt before the first one has been released is if they request you make a modification. THis happened to me...I had run up to start my endo session and they wanted me to adjust the occlusion of the restoration, so I had to come back down and take care of that. Fortunately I had not started the endo yet.
Hi,
Thank you very much for answering.
Does that mean u have to put the dam covering the entire arch from one side molar the other side molar?
Thank you very much
SBDS said:Hi,
Thank you very much for answering.
Does that mean u have to put the dam covering the entire arch from one side molar the other side molar?
Thank you very much
it means the "patient" shouldn't be swallowing the rubber dam frame...
dude...you're getting too hysterical....just take the time...and read everything again slowly...you can always ask questions during oreintation...they're pretty cool...they want a multi rooted posterior tooth...how many times are you gonna see a single rooted premolar with 3 canals? just beware of the tricky stuff...i had a 3 rooted maxillary premolar...thought it would be easy b/c the canal was nice and straight...but wound up perferating on the prep trying to find the orifice to that third canal
(extended mesially rahter than distally..)...doesn't matter though...I passed the test...that's one thing good about the WREB...