Wright State BSOM Waitlist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dgrover1984

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am WL'ed at Wright State (interview in mid Jan, snail-mail "active consideration waitlist" just before Valentine's Day), have sent short LOI and asked a few questions regarding their waitlist process. However the answers I have received have been pretty enigmatic and "form-letter"like and I was wondering if anyone here knew anything more about how WSU works with their waitlist. I've looked through older posts and gotten some information but just figured I'd post a new one in case anyone else was interested too.....

At the interview, the Admissions Director said that a "great number" of students in an incoming class is usually pulled from the waitlist, and I remember one of the med students saying something like 30-40% of their class was waitlisted at one point or another. Does this sound familiar to anyone else? I know that on 3/15 the class of 2011 had officially been filled and the waitlist had been prioritized. I'm just not sure as to when those of us who are on the waitlist will be notified of our position on the waitlist.

Does anyone have any more information on this? Or has anyone who was waitlisted been notified of a position in the class? I am WL'ed at Ohio State and Case but am pretty confident those waitlists will not be mobile at all...

Members don't see this ad.

i don't remember where i heard this, but i thought i read somewhere that half of the people case offers acceptances to decide to go elsewhere. for whatever that's worth. so don't give up hope yet (i'm on hold there too).
as for wright state, did they tell you your position on the waitlist since it's been prioritized? who did you contact to find out?

I got the information after emailing the admissions office and asking about the waitlist..... haven't heard anything from WSU about waitlist positions yet though. The response did say that they did indeed prioritize it and that the waitlist is pretty mobile. They said they would likely be in contact in two-four weeks after prioritization, and that was about two weeks ago, so maybe we'll be hearing something soon?

I actually heard the same thing about Case too, which shocked me. I probably won't get in anyway, and I'm not totally sold on Cleveland, but it's a great school.

Members don't see this ad :)
i am resurrecting this dead thread b/c wright state bsom sent out waitlist positions and rejection letters last week.... i'm in the top third, somehow..yey for that. anyone else get any news or have any thoughts on wright state's waitlist process?

Congrats on the good news! I am on the waitlist for Wright State BSOM but I have not heard anything yet. Don't know whether to take this as good news or bad news.

I have heard the same thing about the waitlist being very mobile and that the a high percent of the class was on the waitlist.

Anyway, best of luck on getting off the waitlist and into the class of 2011

You will get in soon after May 15....Trust me. I've heard Wright State accept about 350+ people for 100 slots i.e. the other 250+ withdraw by May 15.

i have heard, and the letter i got last week telling me of my waitlist position said, that wright state typically takes the top third and much of the second third of its waitlist into a class, at least in the past several years. but they said that they weren't going to make any announcements until after may 15. so i've got my fingers crossed!

karmaja----you got no letter telling you anything about your waitlist position?

Yes i got my letter yesterday. Middle third. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Good luck to everyone

yey, congratulations! now we just have to sit and WAIT... great.....

hey all, congrats on getting this far. I accepted a spot at WSU earlier in the year and am very excited to start. Not, to be cliche, but there is good news and bad news about the waitlist (I was waitlisted last year at WSU, OSU, and cincy, so I know exactly what your going through; applying late is not a good idea). Anyway, the good news is that being on the 1st or 2nd third of the waitlist gives you an excellent change of being admitted the next cycle if you apply early, I did this year and was accepted at all 3 schools I was waitlisted at last cycle. The bad news about the WSU waitlist is that the letter they send you is very misleading. I was on the top third last year and after I received the letter I called and begged for a response about my chances, I actually made an appointment with Dr. Carlson, the assistant dean, drove out to Dayton and had a sit down about what the letter meant. He told me that over the past 3 years they hadn't even made it through the top 3rd of the waitlist.

Now, that doesn't mean that it isn't going to happen, the unfortunate aspect was that the wording of the letter made it seem like it was just a matter of waiting. I hope that you all get in, but if it doesn't happen this year then I hope you reapply early for the next cycle. If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them as someone who dealt with the awful waiting associated with waitlists, please message me or post here.

Hope to see you all in the fall,
Joshua

yeah, i know the whole "applying late" thing myself, too, haha...... i'm not trying to be too overly optimistic about anything. i do know of a person who is currently a first or second-year at wright state (i can't remember which) who was on the second tier of the waitlist, and another who said that she knows of at least 10 people in her class who were from the waitlist, so there is certainly the possibility. but who knows, the dynamics of a class and the applicants change every year.

i sent dr. carlson and the admissions staff emails on monday thanking them for continuing to consider my application, but from here on out i think i'm just going to watch how things go.

does anyone how many people are waitlisted? i'm just curious about that, bc if historically so many people have come from the waitlist it must be rather large.

hey all. has anyone heard when Wright State's major waitlist movement is (i.e.- before May 15, right after May 15, even into June)? I am waitlisted there as well (in the top third) and that is my first choice school so i am keeping my fingers crossed. anyone else have any insight? good luck!

the only information i've gotten from the school itself is that it would likely be "well into may" before we heard anything. i've heard of people getting off wright state's waitlist in the early weeks of june, so i'm guessing it's going to be a good month or so before we hear much, if at all

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks dgrover! i guess it is time to start planning on attending another school and hope for WSU to pull through. have you found out how big their waitlist normally is?

i'm not sure how bit the WL is...... i really would like to know too, b/c i think that would give us a lot more information on just how big of a chance we have at getting in. i DO know, however, of 3 or 4 people who are pulling off the accepted list, so there are at least a few spots that will open

i'm still holding off on making any definite plans for moving/housing/etc until probably the first of june, JUST in case......

yeah it would be nice to know how big the waitlist is, but oh well. lets just hope that Wright State doesn't "overfill" their class with acceptances so those 3-4 people's spots will go to waitlisters.

where else have you been accepted?

congrats on your acceptances! it seems like you are set on attending wsu? why are you choosing wright st over the other two schools? do you mind sharing your take on some of the pros and cons of the three schools? (whenever you get a chance) thanks!

congrats on your acceptances! it seems like you are set on attending wsu? why are you choosing wright st over the other two schools? do you mind sharing your take on some of the pros and cons of the three schools? (whenever you get a chance) thanks!

Thank you very much, however, I am very glad that the process of applications is over for me. Sure, I'll answer any question that you may have about why I chose WSU.

OSU: Well, I graduated from OSU, worked in research as an undergrad at OSU, volunteered at OSU, and tried to spend as much time learning about OSU's med school. When I started the whole process last year OSU was even my first choice. I only had two problems with OSU and they turned out to be deal-breakers. First, way too impersonal. I spent my undergrad career at a huge university and I wanted a smaller class. I wanted easier access to faculty and I was absolutely tired of professors and admins that didn't know my name (even after the amount of time I spent around them). Everyone has been adamant about the fact that the faculty is accessible at WSU. I know this for a fact because as I said earlier in the post, I came in and spoke with Dr. Carlson about my waitlist position after making an appointment the day before. It was not that easy at OSU.
Second, friends that I had met through my undergrad research who were in med school at OSU said that they felt the hospital was not an environment conducive to learning. Instead of support and instruction, many instructors were more concerned with "why are you not understanding something, why is it taking so long to get this, come on this is easy". Included in this was the feeling that the class was very cut-throat. I want a class where a free exchange of ideas is the norm, and that didn't appear to be OSU.
(As a disclaimer, this has been my experience with OSU and the words from friends and acquaintances. There are those that will disagree and this is just my opinion)

Cincy: I'll try to make this one shorter. My best friend from college went to Cincy for med school (one year older than me). He told me not to come there. The instruction was not as good as advertised and the area around the school was not a great place to live (after living on OSU's campus, I really didn't want to constantly worry about my car being broken into). He also said that if he had it to do over again, he would have gone to WSU. That was enough for me.

Lastly, a few random reasons I chose WSU.
I like the fact that we rotate through different hospitals during 3rd and 4th year. It's easier for a group of hospitals to each do a few things well then for one hospital to do everything well.
I have a cousin who is in medicine who told me that I should decide on a school where I feel comfortable, I felt comfortable at WSU. He also said that I should look at the match lists and choose based on how they match into the most selective field in which I am interested. WSU has been matching like crazy into ortho, so I chose WSU.

Any questions, comments, disagreements you can PM me and I'll be happy to answer.

Sorry for the length, trying to be as complete as possible.

i found that pretty useful. and im sure others did too

just out of curiosity, are you concerned at all with wright st's curriculum? most schools (i think) do normal physiology first year (like histology, anatomy, embryo, endocrinology, biochem, physiology, neuro), and pathophys second yr...and wright st seems to have a different approach...and i noticed some of the classes that would be taught first year arent taught till second yr at wright st (namely physiology, endocrinology, and neuro)...but then they stick principles of disease in the first yr...it seems a bit unconventional..
second yr is supposed to be so much harder than first yr, and if so much of first yr material isnt taught til second yr, how are they going to fit everything in once second yr comes around?
well, they do well on the boards, so i guess it works ....

thats my biggest concern. other than that, wright st seems great

i found that pretty useful. and im sure others did too

just out of curiosity, are you concerned at all with wright st's curriculum? most schools (i think) do normal physiology first year (like histology, anatomy, embryo, endocrinology, biochem, physiology, neuro), and pathophys second yr...and wright st seems to have a different approach...and i noticed some of the classes that would be taught first year arent taught till second yr at wright st (namely physiology, endocrinology, and neuro)...but then they stick principles of disease in the first yr...it seems a bit unconventional..
second yr is supposed to be so much harder than first yr, and if so much of first yr material isnt taught til second yr, how are they going to fit everything in once second yr comes around?
well, they do well on the boards, so i guess it works ....

thats my biggest concern. other than that, wright st seems great

Not worried at all. Using the idea that the MCAT should predict success on the boards (if you believe that), WSU has shown a trend of their students scoring higher than they "should" given MCAT scores. So, it appears that they know what they are doing, I'm not worried, I don't think you should be either.

Any other questions? I'll be happy to answer them.

sooo.................... anyone hearing anything yet? nothing here, but just checking in......

nope...nothing here

just bumping this back up since today IS may 15th......... hopefully we will start hearing soon!

anyone hearing ANYTHING?........anything at all..... i don't know how to feel about this! heh

wow........ just felt like resurrecting this in case there is any news from anyone anywhere

I was pulled from the waitlist in mid-June (sorry it has been so long since I replied)! Have you heard anything yet? Good luck!

Just reviving this thread? Any success stories that people came off the waitlist?

Just reviving this thread? Any success stories that people came off the waitlist?
It seems inappropriate to revive a 14 year old thread to ask if people are coming off the waitlist... you could easily ask this question in the school-specific threads

Reactions: 1 user