Wright State Stand-by List/Waitlist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kateycat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got waitlisted at Wright State... don't know what to expect/do...
The letter I'm on the "stand-by" list... is that the same as being waitlisted?
letter says "we can't offer you a position at this time but your app remains under consideration... admissions comm. recommends you remain on stand by list at this time" ... " by mid may we will be in a better position to judge how many places remain available, at that time we will develop an alternate list..."

1) what does this mean for me?

2) should i contact someone/write a letter of interest? or call and find out where i rank (or do i need to wait til may for that)??

3) anybody know how many positions they usually end up having for these "stand-by"/alternate list people like myself??

any help, guidance, advice, etc would be appreciated.... i'm so distraught ive started studying for the mcat again cuz if i don't get in this year i'm def retaking it in may (i got a 29 )

Members don't see this ad.

" by mid may we will be in a better position to judge how many places remain available, at that time we will develop an alternate list..."

1) what does this mean for me?

2) should i contact someone/write a letter of interest? or call and find out where i rank (or do i need to wait til may for that)??

3) anybody know how many positions they usually end up having for these "stand-by"/alternate list people like myself??

1.) This sounds like you are on a waitlist, though their wording almost makes it sound like you're a "candidate" for a waitlist. The only thing you can be absolutely sure about is at this point it's a "non-rejection."

2.) Finding out where you rank is notoriously difficult. As for a letter of interest, I've never been sure as to what that actually accomplishes. Any info, anyone?

3.) The number of positions depends on a number of factors, including any other schools who have also offered acceptances to students at Wright State. Because of the competitive nature of candidacy, those who receive acceptances are likely to be the strongest candidates and will receive more than 1 acceptance. So if the candidate gets into 3 schools, that's 2 potential spots at other schools that open up. On the flipside of this argument is that many schools accept more students than their class size, knowing that not everyone they accept will choose to go to school there. (For example, accepting 160 students for a class size of 120.)

In other words, there are not a lot of hard facts out there, but that's what SDN is for...you'll receive some good opinions and input, and hopefully that will help you out.

Wright State breaks their waitlist into thirds. They prioritize after March 15 and will let you know where you stand by mid-April. If you want to know more details PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wright State breaks their waitlist into thirds. They prioritize after March 15 and will let you know where you stand by mid-April. If you want to know more details PM me.

Additionally, being on a waitlist at an Ohio school that isnt OSU/Case/CCLM isnt really too bad at this point. Ohio is lucky enough to have 8 combined allo/osteo med schools, which means that many Ohio residents are holding on to multiple acceptances in order to see what each school will offer them financially. Not that WSU is a bad school (I was accepted there myself, and am still considering it), but many students who were accepted there might also have been accepted at one of the aforementioned schools that "traditionally" carries more prestige... increasing your odds of being pulled off of the waitlist.

Put it this way, I'm holding acceptances to multiple Ohio schools (including WSU) and ,well, I can only go to one. I wouldnt stress about it until around May 15, when multiple-acceptance holders are forced to withdraw all acceptances except one.

thanks everyone... i'm not giving up hope yet...

any more thoughts on this letter of intent business?? i asked my advisor about it and he said it couldn't hurt...

thanks everyone... i'm not giving up hope yet...

any more thoughts on this letter of intent business?? i asked my advisor about it and he said it couldn't hurt...

Write a letter of intent and if you live near Dayton make an appointment with the Dean or Asst. Dean and hand-deliver it. I'm telling you, i'm convinced that is what made the difference in my application. I have a couple of friends that are at WSU right now, one of them is on the acceptance board and according to her the qualifications for admissions are going to rise again next year. Push hard to make yourself stand out, I have a cousin who graduated from Jefferson Medical College in Philly and says that she got in off the waitlist through force of will.

I'M NOT KIDDING, WRITE A LETTER OF INTENT IF THIS IS WHERE YOU WANT TO GO. If you want any ideas for what to put in it, feel free to PM me. (I am going to WS this fall, over OSU and MUO, I think it's a great school)

Hi, I was wondering if you could give me some ideas as to what I should put in a statement of intent? I am writing to get into another school.

i am still waiting to hear from them, i had my interview 1/10/07. blah...im supposed to find out this week or next week