Wright State U Boonshoft Class of 2011 -- Official Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hmmm, if you get a lump sum at the beginning of the year, is there anything to stop you from investing the money? :rolleyes: Does anyone know what kind of ATMs are on campus? Is there a major bank that has a big presence in the area?

I'm in Boston, but my friend has been searching for apartments in Dayton. Here are the major contenders...
Ashton Brooke (her current number one choice)
Charter Woods (we had high hopes, but she was disappointed with it)
The Highlands
Emerald Lakes (nice townhouses?)
Wexford on the Green (not available until Sept)
Windsor Place

The Advice from Class of 2010 thing was helpful, but we're desperate for any opinions on the various places. How is it possible there are so many different apartment complexes in Dayton? Craziness.

Are we allowed to get health insurance other than the super expensive stuff offered by the school? How are we supposed to have healthy relationships with HMOs as physicians if we start off on such a bad foot? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm, if you get a lump sum at the beginning of the year, is there anything to stop you from investing the money? :rolleyes: Does anyone know what kind of ATMs are on campus? Is there a major bank that has a big presence in the area?

I'm in Boston, but my friend has been searching for apartments in Dayton. Here are the major contenders...
Ashton Brooke (her current number one choice)
Charter Woods (we had high hopes, but she was disappointed with it)
The Highlands
Emerald Lakes (nice townhouses?)
Wexford on the Green (not available until Sept)
Windsor Place

The Advice from Class of 2010 thing was helpful, but we're desperate for any opinions on the various places. How is it possible there are so many different apartment complexes in Dayton? Craziness.

Are we allowed to get health insurance other than the super expensive stuff offered by the school? How are we supposed to have healthy relationships with HMOs as physicians if we start off on such a bad foot? :confused:

i went through the whole apartment hunt booshwa, and i can let u know what i concluded, but remember its just one opinion...

ashton brooke - from what i remember, i thought there were no more availabilities, unless u are looking into a 2 bedroom, but yes it was very nice, and was my top choice originally too...the clubhouse in general was worth renting...

charter woods - seems like a nice community, but they dont allow cosigners, which causes problems for most med students...regardless, i wasnt too excited about the size of the apartments for the cost, but it is nice looking and gives u a nice area with what seems to be student condusive...

highlands - again, i didnt think they had availabilities, i never actually saw an apartment, but just from going to the office, i wasnt impressed...cant add much more...

emerald lakes - was a second away from signing a lease there...they had some deals going on, which made it much more affordable, and the apartments are real nice with a great community, definitely consider it...a perk is u get a personal storage room outside your apartment for a grill, sporting stuff, or whatever u dont wanna keep in your apartment...i would have signed, but i ended up finding another place right after i left...

wexford on the green - if there was an availability i would have signed in a heartbeat

windsor place - didnt see it

i ended up signing at the enclave which is next door to emerald lakes...i would suggest looking there, but i dont think they have any availabilities...but i def speak highly of ashton brooke and emerald lakes, i dont think u can go wrong there...

good luck w/ your search, i know how painful it can be...and in case u are coming to the area to close on an apartment, ill be moving to dayton june 22nd (friday) if u need help finding apartments or whatever...i think others will be in town around the same time as well...

I will throw my two sense in on the matter of apartments...i am very close to signing a lease at Charter woods and I will say i really like what they have to offer and with the amount of money we are getting I decided to bump up a size in my apartment...the community should be (at least this is what im told) fairly quiet as there are no undergrad students living there...it is really close to campus and a large grocery store...anyways...if anyone else is thinking about living in charter woods let me know...hopefully there is at least one other med student

Members don't see this ad :)
...if anyone else is thinking about living in charter woods let me know...hopefully there is at least one other med student

I'm right there with ya, doctorbob. My move-in date is June 30, but I probably wont actually move to Dayton until mid July.

i went through the whole apartment hunt booshwa, and i can let u know what i concluded, but remember its just one opinion...

Thanks so much for your advice! I'll tell her to check out the Enclave. It is so hard not being there in person. Yeah, my friend and I are looking for a 2 bedroom, but availibility does seem to be an issue with the different places. I'm working in Boston now, headed to Morocco for 2 weeks, and I won't get to Ohio until July 23 or so. Cutting it pretty close.

Yeah Shortee, I'm right there with you. I'm in DC right to the bitter end (July 27) and I have NO IDEA what I am going to do about housing. :( By the way, what are you going to Morocco for? It's next on my list of places to go (if I can stop consistantly jumping back to asia again and again). Anyway, thanks to everyone for the housing advice. Is everyone looking for studios or one bedrooms or is anyone looking for a roomate/knows where I can look for non-creepy roomates?

Thanks so much for your advice! I'll tell her to check out the Enclave. It is so hard not being there in person. Yeah, my friend and I are looking for a 2 bedroom, but availibility does seem to be an issue with the different places. I'm working in Boston now, headed to Morocco for 2 weeks, and I won't get to Ohio until July 23 or so. Cutting it pretty close.

Real quick... we're about to sign a lease at Emerald Lakes... has anyone heard anything at all about it?!?! The townhouse looks awesome, but they have some sketchy reviews on apartmentratings.com. :confused:

Real quick... we're about to sign a lease at Emerald Lakes... has anyone heard anything at all about it?!?! The townhouse looks awesome, but they have some sketchy reviews on apartmentratings.com. :confused:

i wouldn't worry yourself w/ what you saw on the internet...i personally saw emerald lakes and i liked it a lot...also, every apt. complex i went to always spoke highly of emerald lakes and a few select other complexes when i would tell them where i was considering living...as long as the price is right i'm sure you won't have any problems living there...good luck...

Wow, I've been gone for a few weeks and this thread really exploded. How has everyone been?

Anyone planning a final hurrah before school starts?

Sorry for the redundancy but I typed this for facebook and didn't want to type it again.

Hey all, sorry for the poor communication but I was on vaca. Alright, for all of those interested in the canoe/BBQ event this is what I have tentatively planned.

The cost will be 15 bucks for an 8 mile trip with Aaron's canoe near Springfield. We can head out around 11 and when we finish we can all meet at a few possible locations for the BBQ. For anyone interested you can message me or just call me and let me know your interested (614-327-5841). As of now it is planned for July 21st, if a lot of people have an issue with this day then we can move it to July 22 or July 14. Sound gravy?

PS If you have significant others/close friends that you really want to bring along, please do. The only real goal is to have a great time.

Thanks

Also, who is interested in intramurals this fall?

I have an odd request, but here goes. I'm in charge of getting people to respond to the 31 question's thread in the mentor forum and am looking for current students at all of the med schools of the US. So, I realize this is the class thread for the incoming class, but perhaps someone from previous classes has been helpful in answering your questions and giving you advice in this thread. I have no time to read through every single class thread to get this info, but if you could post some user names of some such people (or pm them to me, including what school you are from), I can pm them with my request. Thanks!

Alright, for all of those interested in the canoe/BBQ event this is what I have tentatively planned.

Also, who is interested in intramurals this fall?

Canoe/BBQ: depends if I'm in town.

Intramurals: Hell freaking yes. Any and all.

Hi everyone- i'm cameron and i am looking for a roommate.

i'm an OSU grad, male, easy to get along with, 23 years old, nonsmoker, don't have pets, i enjoy having fun at restaraunts/bars/etc.

my e-mail is [email protected] and my screename is drake885

let me know if you're interested

Members don't see this ad :)
I will definitely get involved with any intramural sport that anyone wants to play. Is anyone else into bastketball? If so, have you checked out the rec center basketball courts?

Also, I have signed a lease at Channingway. Is anyone else going to be living there?

I will definitely get involved with any intramural sport that anyone wants to play. Is anyone else into bastketball? If so, have you checked out the rec center basketball courts?

Also, I have signed a lease at Channingway. Is anyone else going to be living there?

I'm into bball, but I'm not great at it...

I believe polofan and workhrd playhrd are both living at Channingway.

I'm into bball, but I'm not great at it...

I believe polofan and workhrd playhrd are both living at Channingway.

I'm not great either, but I love to play. We should definitely get an intramural team together this year.

Any updates on the canoe trip? I'm interested in going. I'm also interested in intramurals. I'm not too particular as far as the sport goes, I just would like to keep active. Speaking of which, are any of you into cycling (road or cross)?

I am indeed living in Channingway. I'm in the Reserve at Channingway, apartment 1206D.

We've got 4 confirms for the canoe trip. Come on people, there isn't a better way to hang out with classmates.

Also, I know there are OSU fans out there. Whose got the biggest TV? College football saturday is just around the corner.

well i'm not currently an admitted student of the class of 2011 (am still waiting on the top third of the waitlist, i applied WAY too late....... ) but i recently acquired my parents' plasma TV that my dad made me PROMISE to make use of for buckeye games in order to officially be able to take it. of course i don't have a problem with doing that and if i do get in to the class at some point, which i REALLY hope i do, i suppose i will have to make that major sacrifice and have some awesome gameday parties at my place :D

I am taking it upon myself to will you into the class. No tricks, just straight up willpower. Let me know how it goes, I've been on the waitlist before (last year). I know how you feel.

i would def go on the canoe trip but i might be headin up to ny to see some college friends...if i end up goin to ny later and i decide last second to go on the canoe trip is that gonna be a problem w/ booking or what not?

Hey all,

Long time no post... So to assist our beleaguered polofan while he works and almost moves and then works some more, Tim Freeman and I have put ourselves in charge of localizing the canoe trip. We're both in the premat (lucky us) and both relatively settled into Dayton, eager to assist people in

a) RSVPing for the trip: Tim (937-672-4648) and Kate (609-638-9788)
b) finding directions to Aaron's
c) finding your way to the BBQ afterward

Please come--it will be a fun way to hang out in the brief last gasp before we all go under---I mean start the rest of our lives.

Right.

Call us. Come and row.

Hey future classmates! So i'm in dayton right now looking for apartments. Is anyone still looking or have an extra bedroom and interested in having a roommate? i went to ohio state, i'm pretty clean and laid back. i like to go out to bars and movies when i can and otherwise i'll be studying my life away i'm sure. i'm mentally struggling with signing away all my money on a one bedroom, so it would be great to share with another med student who understands the situation. 937-371-1829 ASAP if you are interested- and my name is Natalie! :luck:

Hey future classmates! So i'm in dayton right now looking for apartments. Is anyone still looking or have an extra bedroom and interested in having a roommate? i went to ohio state, i'm pretty clean and laid back. i like to go out to bars and movies when i can and otherwise i'll be studying my life away i'm sure. i'm mentally struggling with signing away all my money on a one bedroom, so it would be great to share with another med student who understands the situation. 937-371-1829 ASAP if you are interested- and my name is Natalie! :luck:

i know a second year is looking for someone as a roomate...if u go to the class of 2011 group on facebook, he put a post up on the wall...his name is Mark Francis Shoreman...his email is [email protected]...i guess that may work for ya if u dont mind having a male roomate...

good luck