Wright State U Boonshoft Class of 2011 -- Official Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Divine Furor

Academician
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well since no one got the ball rolling on this (although I know you acceptees are out there), let me just say HURRAH! I got into my first choice in my old hometown of Dayton, OH. Has anyone received any additional information beyond the initial letter and the complimentary issue of Vital Signs? Any information on when we can expect more?

Members don't see this ad.

Well since no one got the ball rolling on this (although I know you acceptees are out there), let me just say HURRAH! I got into my first choice in my old hometown of Dayton, OH. Has anyone received any additional information beyond the initial letter and the complimentary issue of Vital Signs? Any information on when we can expect more?

finally found it!! ok, i find out tomorrow (monday)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thanks for the advice divine. I have also decided that if i'm going to buy a new laptop, I might as well get a great one.

I thought this was a subforum under pre-allo, so no wonder I had a bear of a time finding it. I still forget that I am actually no longer pre-anything. Feels good.

Hey thanks for the advice divine. I have also decided that if i'm going to buy a new laptop, I might as well get a great one.

I thought this was a subforum under pre-allo, so no wonder I had a bear of a time finding it. I still forget that I am actually no longer pre-anything. Feels good.

Heheheh, I still have the occasional "Am I really in? What if they rescind it? Better send an email to admissions with some random info request" anxiety bulletin. But it's calming down. Cheers to top of the line laptops. Cheers to being new classmates. Are you from OH?

From Ohio by way of Wisconsin. I lived there until about 9th grade, then moved to Columbus. My father is a pastor so we moved around a few times while I was younger.

Sidenote, have you started looking for apartments yet? I don't want to end up driving from northern cincy because I wasn't on the ball.

Lastly, during the interview where they fitted us for our white coats, I felt like they just wanted to mess with me. At no other institution did they fit me at the interview. I like the fact that it will be fitted and ready for me at the white coat ceremony, but had I not gotten in I would have felt completely teased.

From Ohio by way of Wisconsin. I lived there until about 9th grade, then moved to Columbus. My father is a pastor so we moved around a few times while I was younger.

Sidenote, have you started looking for apartments yet? I don't want to end up driving from northern cincy because I wasn't on the ball.

Lastly, during the interview where they fitted us for our white coats, I felt like they just wanted to mess with me. At no other institution did they fit me at the interview. I like the fact that it will be fitted and ready for me at the white coat ceremony, but had I not gotten in I would have felt completely teased.

Actually, I'm flying out to check apartments in early June...there's a lot of availability, and the market in Dayton is pretty good/cheap. Check craigslist and apartments.com. My brother lives out there and I'm kind of relying on him to keep me apprised of any really cool places that open up. I did put some feelers out on craigslist, but I've mostly gotten bogus or homeshare responses, and that's not too interesting.

I agree about the fitting! Good lord that was nervewracking....but I was so blitzed out (concentrating on the interview) that they could have put a parka on me and I might not have noticed.

I don't mind having a roomie but if history has taught me anything it's probably that I should live alone for at least the first year. I tend to be pretty anal, I like things to be in their place, so living with another person has always stressed me out at times. I definately don't want added drama during med school. To that end, I'm planning on looking at studios maybe some one-bedroom places, I don't plan on spending a lot of time in my apartment anyway. How about you?

Another sidenote, I saw your blog and I have to say first that you are an incredible writer. Second, I just went through a similar situation when I received my acceptance, stay strong, medicine has too many self-indulgent, spineless hopefuls in it and far too few intelligent, ambitious individuals like yourself.

I don't mind having a roomie but if history has taught me anything it's probably that I should live alone for at least the first year. I tend to be pretty anal, I like things to be in their place, so living with another person has always stressed me out at times. I definately don't want added drama during med school. To that end, I'm planning on looking at studios maybe some one-bedroom places, I don't plan on spending a lot of time in my apartment anyway. How about you?

Another sidenote, I saw your blog and I have to say first that you are an incredible writer. Second, I just went through a similar situation when I received my acceptance, stay strong, medicine has too many self-indulgent, spineless hopefuls in it and far too few intelligent, ambitious individuals like yourself.

Well, wow, thank you. I forget that my profile has a link to the blog, and I'm very flattered even though my recent entries have been, erm, self-indulgently emotional. But thank you for your support. It feels like a lonely road right now but the right one...less likely to veer off a sudden, precipitous cliff.

Couldn't agree more about the roommate...last time I had one was freshman year of undergrad, and while we eventually were pretty good friends, that was enough. I'm anal too, totally require my own space and feel like sharing would be oppressive right now. And you're also right...we're NEVER going to be in our rooms, hahahahahahahah. Even so, I'd like my apartment to be nice.

I didn't mean to pry, but work hasn't been very exciting lately (i'm in research), so I tend to click on an excessive number of links every day.

This is completely off topic, but have you ever had your tonsils out? I have to have them taken out next Thursday and I'm trying to gauge how long it will be until I can head back to work. I'm hoping to be back 4 days later on Tuesday. Realistic or ridiculous?

I didn't mean to pry, but work hasn't been very exciting lately (i'm in research), so I tend to click on an excessive number of links every day.

This is completely off topic, but have you ever had your tonsils out? I have to have them taken out next Thursday and I'm trying to gauge how long it will be until I can head back to work. I'm hoping to be back 4 days later on Tuesday. Realistic or ridiculous?

Realistic, from what I gather. A little residually painful by the 4th day, but if you're in research, you can probably swing it. Although no, never had them out myself. I wish you luck with your minor surgical procedure:).

I'm clearly lurking on the SDN forums too...and I'm in security at the moment. Some banks might be compromised while I'm musing in the allopathic forums. :) Just kidding.

Dayton used to have this ridiculous Pink Floyd laser light show at the planetarium when I was a kid. I think it would be a great stress reliever to go again, w/refreshments, while in med school. Anyone out there? Anyone reading this? Anyone's tonsils hurt?

Members don't see this ad :)
Tonsils are still with me, but their swan song grows closer. I was actually just out in Dayton yesterday looking at apartments.

Heheheh, I still have the occasional "Am I really in? What if they rescind it? Better send an email to admissions with some random info request" anxiety bulletin. But it's calming down. Cheers to top of the line laptops. Cheers to being new classmates. Are you from OH?

alright, i have committed myself to Wright State University MS!! whoo hoo!! man, i still can't believe I am in. SO i have a few questions, since both you and polo are vets at this thing. HA. You guys checked out the Macs? let me see if i get this right, we get an additional 2,000 onto our financial aid to help pay for it/per year (as if you want to buy one every year). And, are you guys going to go with the Mac program or Windows? (i am so computer illiterate).

Alright, and you guys are looking for apts in Dayton. i live in Columbus, OH, an hour away from Dayton, so I guess I better start looking as well. I might have a roommate, but ive known her since forever, and she will have a job around the area. But, like you guys, i am anal about the placement of object in my living area! haha...must come with the profession. But, you guys are right, will i even be there at all? Anyways, if any of you guys travel down there sometime after May, maybe i can meet up with you, thatd be cool. Would you guys move into your apt. early or the weekend of the white coat ceremony? (which by the way, i loved, but hated b/c i felt like they were teasing me as well!...and they couldnt find a coat to fit my arms...long and skinny.. HA)

Ok, sorry this is long, another question. Are you guys going to do the pre-class class, i guess you can call it? Its the class they provide in the summer to prepare you for studying, etc. I don't know really how to explain it.

lastly...when you called WSU, did they give you the website? do i need to call?

hey, divine, i saw your blog too....you ARE an amazing writer:thumbup: !! holy crap, i could never write like that if i ever became an amazing writer...if that makes sense. What im saying is that I can't write like that! ha ha I also have a similar situation, except, well, my ex goes to Wright State...so that will be interesting:confused: . But, i wanna follow my dream for a while...anyways, i hope things work out for you. and well, im excited to start, its what is gettin me through!:D

First off congrats again. Wow, lots of questions, where to start.

Yes I am going with a Mac, I think divine is too. I have always been pretty computer savvy and everything that I have read has said that the Mac is the way to go.

I am also looking at apartments in Dayton right now, and I also live in Columbus. I know you already have a room mate but their is also a match list you can get on by calling and talking with Teresa Rickey (Sorry about the spelling, don't know if it's correct). I am planning on moving in July because I have a ton of vacation time and i'm going to use it all during July so I can get paid for moving, sweet idea huh?

I don't think i'm going to go to the summer program, I was in a pretty science intensive program and I am going to NYC to visit some friends before I start so I wouldn't know when I would be able to squeeze it in.

It's nice to have another voice on the thread, congrats again, I definately know how you feel and I can not wait to start school.

...let me see if i get this right, we get an additional 2,000 onto our financial aid to help pay for it/per year (as if you want to buy one every year). And, are you guys going to go with the Mac program or Windows? (i am so computer illiterate).

I could be wrong, but I believe that you only get the additional $2,000 in financial aid for ONE year.

However, you have the freedom to pick which year you would like to take advantage of the deal. For example, if I decided to matriculate at WSU, then I'd probably take the money this year, because I don't have a laptop. If you have a serviceable laptop that will last through the next couple years, then you can request to take the additional aid as an MSIII.

jj2yr03 said:
Are you guys going to do the pre-class class, i guess you can call it? Its the class they provide in the summer to prepare you for studying, etc. I don't know really how to explain it.

That's the prematriculation program. The kind folks at WSU said that about 15-20 students take advantage of this program each year. They do not have any statistics regarding whether or not the program is academically beneficial (as you can imagine, there would be a lot of other, uncontrollable variables that would come in to play), but they did acknowledge that the program allows participating students to form a bond prior to matriculation. Furthermore, the information covered in the program is essentially what a student learns during the first three weeks of the med program, so it allows you to ease into the first year. Perhaps getting to know the area/students/faculty early on, rather than hitting the books to learn new material.

I'm considering Boonshoft, as well, but haven't actually committed to the program. Hopefully, I'm not overstepping my bounds, but I saw the above questions and figured that I'd throw in what I remembered from my interviews.

Good luck to you all!

Yes I am going with a Mac, I think divine is too. I have always been pretty computer savvy and everything that I have read has said that the Mac is the way to go.

I am also looking at apartments in Dayton right now, and I also live in Columbus. quote]

sweet, ok thanx for the advice both polo and OUchris on the comp idea. i think i will go for a Mac, and since i can risk throwing away my current computer...ill go for the better one. polo good to know you are in c-bus, nice place. I live around the Dublin area, when im home. Im thinking about doing the prematriculation programm, but only if i can leave one of the weeks to go the beach with the family...err?? btw, how was getting your tonsils out?

im going to dayton today to get a view on some apts. i want a close one thats nice...and im thinking i can do it:):D

I'm considering Boonshoft, as well, but haven't actually committed to the program. Hopefully, I'm not overstepping my bounds, but I saw the above questions and figured that I'd throw in what I remembered from my interviews.
quote]

good luck in whatever you choose:D if you don't mind me asking, where else are you considering?

Well my evil tonsils are still with me as of tonight. The surgery is tomorrow morning so I'm starting to get a little nervous, i've been under general before but it's still a little frightening. I'm also getting a septoplasty because I had broken my nose so many times when I played rugby that one of my sinuses won't drain, haha, i'm a train wreck.

I was living in Dublin last year, I just moved to Worthington though.

Random bit of info: Last night, Wright State won the Horizon League and will be offered up as a sacrifice in the first round of the NCAA tourney. It may be an ugly game, but i'll still watch.

Well, I may be out of the game for a few days, I'll let everyone know how it goes. Talk to all you future docs later.

Hey everyone! I thought I'd finally join the conversation.

Polo - I'm glad to see there's another rugger going into medicine! How long have you played? I played for my college team until an injury kinda ended my career. We probably could have listed rugby as an emergency room shadowing experience on our AMCAS! I've made a few visits due to the great sport... stitches, concussions, sprained ankle, dislocated shoulder. Breaking your nose a couple times doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun.

I did see Wright State beat Butler, that was a good game to watch... as much as I love the school, I don't think I'm gonna have them going too far in my brackets.

Hey everyone! I thought I'd finally join the conversation.

Polo - I'm glad to see there's another rugger going into medicine! How long have you played? I played for my college team until an injury kinda ended my career. We probably could have listed rugby as an emergency room shadowing experience on our AMCAS! I've made a few visits due to the great sport... stitches, concussions, sprained ankle, dislocated shoulder. Breaking your nose a couple times doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun.

I did see Wright State beat Butler, that was a good game to watch... as much as I love the school, I don't think I'm gonna have them going too far in my brackets.

Hahaha, add another Rugby player to the works...except that of course I played women's and it was in HS and I was finally sidelined from being an outside prop with two recurring shoulder dislocations. lol

hey, divine, i saw your blog too....you ARE an amazing writer:thumbup: !! holy crap, i could never write like that if i ever became an amazing writer...if that makes sense. What im saying is that I can't write like that! ha ha I also have a similar situation, except, well, my ex goes to Wright State...so that will be interesting:confused: . But, i wanna follow my dream for a while...anyways, i hope things work out for you. and well, im excited to start, its what is gettin me through!:D

jj,

Yay for NEW CLASSMATES! lol. I've been off the forums for a few days swamped with work, but now I'm back and it's exciting to see the forums taking off. Thank you for your kind words, and ultimately it's looking like I may come to Wright State semi-attached....it's a work in progress.

But anyway, yes I am getting a laptop and right now it's 80.0% likely it will be a mac. So much easier to run windows software from a mac than viceversa. It's been about three years since I last owned a mac, so I'll probably take the financial aid bonus this year and get a pro...and then install linux on a second hard drive...and then windows on a third...lol. just kidding. I'm a geek.

As for the preprep, I'm with polo--my postbac was slightly crazy and my job is even crazier, not to mention lucrative, so I'll skip the class. Relax. Worry about memorizing everything starting in August.

My brother lives with his gf in Dayton, so my mother and I will be planning a family reunion/apt shopping trip that first week in June. Potential move-in date: July 1. With or without a relationship, I know myself well enough to know I need to absorb returning to Ohio slowwwwwly....

Hmm, what else? Oh, did anyone get that surreal little postcard about "Checking your financial status online." only to discover we can't do that yet? Grrr.

I am also looking at apartments in Dayton right now, and I also live in Columbus. I know you already have a room mate but their is also a match list you can get on by calling and talking with Teresa Rickey (Sorry about the spelling, don't know if it's correct). I am planning on moving in July because I have a ton of vacation time and i'm going to use it all during July so I can get paid for moving, sweet idea huh?

I don't think i'm going to go to the summer program, I was in a pretty science intensive program and I am going to NYC to visit some friends before I start so I wouldn't know when I would be able to squeeze it in.

It's nice to have another voice on the thread, congrats again, I definately know how you feel and I can not wait to start school.

Holy moly. Polo. you just revolutionized my life. VACATION TIME FOR MOVING. BRILLIANT!

whoo hoo, thanx for the info everyone. haha mmm kk, i can't really use my vaca time/payment option, ill be coming from my undergrad, extra POOR!! whoo hoo! Divine, ill totally ask you for that username and password so i can check it out. thanx! well,my spring break is almost over :( , so ill be heading back to school to, i dunno...try and finish strong?!?! :confused: HAHAH.

Sweet Ruggerdoc, glad to hear you played. Where did you play? I played for two years at Purdue then transferred to OSU and had to stop in order to focus on my undergrad research. I wish I was still playing though.

Funny you mention the busted noses, I just had my tonsils out (unrelated) and a septoplasty (totally related). Final tally for me: two years in high school and two years in college I had 2 concussions, broke my nose twice, dislocated a few fingers, and had to have my knee scoped. Even though I'm going to hate myself when I'm 40 and have arthitis, it was totally worth it, so much fun.

Well guys, I'm officially back in the game. After a few days of being completely useless and knocked nearly unconcious with pain pills, I'm mobile and feeling a lot better. Bit of advice, never have throat and nose surgery at the same time. With my nose stuffed I had to breath through my mouth, and after drying out the spots where my tonsils used to be, it was quite a painful experience.

Good to see the forum taking off, lets keep it up.

wow, that link really does not have any new information on it, that i couldnt find on the website. darn. so, our white coat is the last sunday in july, and then we have orientation week...haha

i had an orientation week in undergrad (4 years ago), and we had to do the rope climing stunts and trust exercises...hahah THIS COULD BE SO MUCH FUN!

i just can't wait to graduate and leave Canton and start medical school. I was looking at the classes we have to take, its pretty interesting...here, take a look: http://www.idtl.wright.edu/Calendar/year1/Academic/Y1_07-08_academic.html

we have so many exams!! :idea:

Sweet Ruggerdoc, glad to hear you played. Where did you play? I played for two years at Purdue then transferred to OSU and had to stop in order to focus on my undergrad research. I wish I was still playing though.

so all of you have played rugby at sometime in your life...must be a requirement for med school i hadnt heard of:D
i don't play rugby...in fact, i met a guy who played who also interviewed at WSUSOM, and that was my first real encounter with the sport. you guys should start a team.

so all of you have played rugby at sometime in your life...must be a requirement for med school i hadnt heard of:D
i don't play rugby...in fact, i met a guy who played who also interviewed at WSUSOM, and that was my first real encounter with the sport. you guys should start a team.

Hahahah, but see by now we're older and wiser and know we need our limbs for medical practice. Nothing would give me greater pleasure than being in a scrum again for five minutes, if I didn't know how painful it would be five minutes later!

But I see some Rugby nights on TV in the future of WSUSOM 2011 class.

Speaking of pain, I had my required physical yesterday and passed with flying colors, except that my ancient GP decided to do all the inoculations in one go. Hep B in one shoulder, Tet/Dip in the other, PPD in the forearm and blood for the metabolic workup. Sheesh. I feel like a pincushion.

So you're from Canton, jj? The HQ of my current employer is there, and I almost had to fly out last week for training. What a small world.

Funny you mention the busted noses, I just had my tonsils out (unrelated) and a septoplasty (totally related). Final tally for me: two years in high school and two years in college I had 2 concussions, broke my nose twice, dislocated a few fingers, and had to have my knee scoped. Even though I'm going to hate myself when I'm 40 and have arthitis, it was totally worth it, so much fun.

Well guys, I'm officially back in the game. After a few days of being completely useless and knocked nearly unconcious with pain pills, I'm mobile and feeling a lot better. Bit of advice, never have throat and nose surgery at the same time. With my nose stuffed I had to breath through my mouth, and after drying out the spots where my tonsils used to be, it was quite a painful experience.

Good to see the forum taking off, lets keep it up.

NOW you mention the septoplasty...I wouldn't have given you a four day ok knowing that. Hope you're feeling better.

So you're from Canton, jj? The HQ of my current employer is there, and I almost had to fly out last week for training. What a small world.

good to know i don't need to join the club of broken body parts...ive never broken one and don't intend to. I guess you could say im a girly-girl. But, divine, no im from Dublin, OH, i got to undergrad in Canton, OH. Its alright here, but its pretty boring and sucky, sucky weather in canton...so im moving to Dayton (ha ha). :laugh: ya, i gotta get that physical thing done ...eww, with all those shots, fun fun. Did they use the new needle that retracts against itself? The nurse told me that a young college girl thought of the idea of the retracting needle into the vial, and she has earned millions off of it. I swear, i never think of interesting ideas like that!:thumbdown: So, im writing a 15 page paper on the synthesis of Penicillin (slowly killing myself)....Im so glad im going to medical school and not more chemistry schooling (sorry if anyone here did go to more chemistry schooling)...:D

Hey I am feeling better divine, they switched my pain pills from lortab to percocet so I can take them more often and it is really helping with the pain. The only real benefit of being in so much pain so long after surgery is that I can take off and watch the tourney games today.

Just reminding everyone to watch WSU play Pitt tonight. The odds look pretty bleak, but since the school was nice enough to offer me a spot in their med school, the least I could do is pick them in my bracket. Luckily, I don't have a lot of money riding on it. :D

Just reminding everyone to watch WSU play Pitt tonight. The odds look pretty bleak, but since the school was nice enough to offer me a spot in their med school, the least I could do is pick them in my bracket. Luckily, I don't have a lot of money riding on it. :D

I'll be thinking of them fondly...but my money, literally, is on Pitt. lol. GOD I LOVE SPORTS. Hahaha, although you'd probably call me a girly-girl too, jj. Part of the problem with rugby is that I'm not a tough girl.

But back to sports. It's times like these...and the World Series...and the Stanley Cup...and the Super Bowl...even fricking Wimbledon....that I cherish HD TV. I hope the piddling financial aid we receive will allow me to scrounge out a decent cable service. Does that sound like my motives are in the wrong place? lmao.

Except golf. I can only watch the last three holes in the end of the tournament. Like the last three laps of Nascar. That's about it.

Anyway...back to medicine....anyone shout out when they get their email address from WSU, ok?

Anyway...back to medicine....anyone shout out when they get their email address from WSU, ok?

how do we find out about stuff liek that anyway...are they gonna email/snail mail/website us the stuff? i feel kinda like they arent passing out info effectively...I WANNA KNOW lol:eek:

Oh do I hear you about HD divine. I pray that I will be able to scrimp and save in other areas to afford a good HD package. Once you have it, it almost hurts your eyes to watch anything else. I have been guilty of watching college football games in which I have no vested interest just because it has been in HD.

For those of you looking for apartments around WSU, there are quite a few to choose from at not outrageous prices. Also, if you have roommates, houses (in Fairborn) aren't too expensive.

As far as the prematriculation program, what I've heard from some of the med students is that it covers the first test in the anatomy class. It seems to me that it would make the transition to med school a little easier, but if you're okay on Anatomy, it probably wouldn't be worth it - not that I have any first-hand knowledge.

I'm a non-traditional, already living here with my husband and daughter. Anyone out there even close to my situation? But we do have an HD projector and subscriptions to way too many sports channels (no way my husband will be sacrificing that while I go back to school!). Something to watch in all our spare time next year...

For those of you looking for apartments around WSU, there are quite a few to choose from at not outrageous prices. Also, if you have roommates, houses (in Fairborn) aren't too expensive.

I'm a non-traditional, already living here with my husband and daughter. Anyone out there even close to my situation? But we do have an HD projector and subscriptions to way too many sports channels (no way my husband will be sacrificing that while I go back to school!). Something to watch in all our spare time next year...

hey welcome docH!:D Ive been lookin at the apts, and youre right, they do look good. wow, you have a daughter! awesome! how old is she?

Thanks! She's 14, and fortunately, very supportive of me going to med school. She's great - I got blessed with a sweet, sweet child. Of course, my husband is supportive too - he said he plans to retire when I'm finally done with residency :) (and no, I'm not that old...) He probably would have liked OSU better so I could get him student football tickets!

Good luck on your penicillin paper. I'm lucky - no undergrad classes for me this year. I got all my pre-reqs done last year, so I get a little reprieve before July 30!

By the way, is anyone else not getting a Mac? I think my husband would flip if I told him I wanted one for med school. He's a systems analyst (or something like that, I'm happily ignorant of what he does), and is PC all the way. I do like the idea of being able to run everything we're doing in school, which won't happen with a PC.

Hey DocH, I was always a tech savvy guy, before I switched to mol gen I was a computer engineering major at Purdue. I had a hard time when I found out that WSU was mac heavy, but now, I don't think I will every buy another PC. Aside from being 10 times more stable a platform, the macs are immune to nearly all major viruses because they were all written to attack PC's (the same way feline aids won't infect humans). The battery life for the laptops are almost an average of 1 hr better. Plus, if you really want windows, the macs will run windows, even the new vista. Not only that, there was an article in the Sunday paper a few weeks back, the new windows vista actually runs better as an emulation on a mac then on a PC. As a former PC only person, I have to say that macs are definately the way to go. My $0.02.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to call the school tomorrow or Friday and ask how important it would be to have a Mac. I'll post their response on here after I talk to them.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to call the school tomorrow or Friday and ask how important it would be to have a Mac. I'll post their response on here after I talk to them.

That would be helpful...hi by the way. We'll be happy to help with continued HD subscriptions, BTW...from all our meager financial aid packages, lol. :horns:

Nontrads unite--it's nice to know I won't be alone as an "older"--NOT OLD--student.

what up future boonshofters....

congratulations on getting this far.. i am a current student at WSU so naturally, i'm glad you all chose wright state.. i know what it's like to be in your position and i am more than happy to answer any questions you all may have – don’t hesitate to shoot a message.. and please expect my response to be delayed =)

the mac vs. pc issue is one that will never truly be resolved. Even seasoned computer geeks can be found at the local tavern brawling over the advantages of one vs the other.. but i will give you my 0.02..

there is no difference between mac or pc as far as academics are concerned at WSU.

it all boils down to personal preference. buy a computer you will feel comfortable with.. if you are mac user already, stick with mac or buy one if you have the extra cash.. if you already have a pc that suites your needs, hang on to it and wait to make the decision to buy a new computer as the year progresses and you have a clearer idea of what you need..

don’t feel pressured to buy a mac.. i know one student who bought a mac coming in and ended up switching back to pc because it was his preference to begin with. personally, i am a huge pc user (mainly because they are cheaper and for me the pc is more versatile)..

I believe the advantage of having a mac at WSU is that IDTL will help you out if you have computer problems.. but more than likely you will not run in to major problems with either computer (if the computer is properly setup).. and if you do you will probably not end up going to IDTL for help.

all that said, it seems to me that most of the people i know who are avid computer users have pcs and most of the kids who aren't ended up going with the school's recommendation. But of course, there can be a lot of variability in such a blanket statement.

congratulations and good luck…

what up future boonshofters....

there is no difference between mac or pc as far as academics are concerned at WSU.

Thank you glasscannon--that's some relieving input, considering I'd begun to find the cost of a mac to be....prohibitive. And I wasn't winning any of those stupid Ebay auctions for a tricked-out mac book, because I kept forgetting about them.

I do have a question...is this waiting around normal? I mean, I committed myself back in January and everything since then has been unnervingly quiet or half-handed. Like, I had to call for the welcome page because I never got any emails. And I still don't get any emails. Or any snail mail. Maybe this is a more general MS-0 (hah!) question: what are we supposed to do with this last gasp of free time while waiting for WSU to notice us in particular?

EDIT: But I'll prolly still try to go mac, because it's just cooler.

Thank you glasscannon--

I do have a question...is this waiting around normal? I mean, I committed myself back in January and everything since then has been unnervingly quiet or half-handed. Like, I had to call for the welcome page because I never got any emails. And I still don't get any emails. Or any snail mail. Maybe this is a more general MS-0 (hah!) question: what are we supposed to do with this last gasp of free time while waiting for WSU to notice us in particular?

I contacted the financial aid director previous financial aid director (she was one of the people who interviewed me). She told me that around mid-may they will send out our awards (financial aid we have won), how much they will provide for us in our loans (includes educational expenses, living expenses...etc.). Anyways, i hope this helps people. I have no idea what to do about loans...so I had to contact someone.

Im glad to hear about the Mac vs. PC info...you can get a really awesome pc for the bottom lined priced mac....and i guess im more comfortable with a pc...then again, i might wait and see what Ill get later durign the school year.

I contacted the financial aid director previous financial aid director (she was one of the people who interviewed me). She told me that around mid-may they will send out our awards (financial aid we have won), how much they will provide for us in our loans (includes educational expenses, living expenses...etc.). Anyways, i hope this helps people. I have no idea what to do about loans...so I had to contact someone.

Im glad to hear about the Mac vs. PC info...you can get a really awesome pc for the bottom lined priced mac....and i guess im more comfortable with a pc...then again, i might wait and see what Ill get later durign the school year.

I have no idea what to do about loans either....my bank, BOA, offers a Medical Student Maximizer loan, which with a cosigner offers about 250K in total borrowing potential at a pretty good rate. That's really as far as I've taken private loan investigation. What I would like is for WSU to let us know their preferred lenders or sponsored private loans--if they have any--sooner....so I can do some research. But thanks for making the call, jj...lol...I got a hilarious email from Tupper or Tucker (the current financial aid guy) who called me Miss Benson (not my name, but close enough for government work) and basically told me nothing.

Sigh...it's spring, we're just sittin' in limbo waiting, so of course I'm only thinking about the following two things:

1. Twin or Queen size bed? Since I'm freshly single, do I want a Spartan, accomodating tiny little bed like I've had since starting college in 1997...or do I finally want to upgrade even though it seems way too lavish. HAHAHAH. sigh.

2. What color should my first pair of scrubs be, and should I buy those yet? I've been looking at this website...aviatorscrubs.com...because they have cargo pants with all these pockets and look combat-ready. And they have maroon, which I think is a personally flattering color.

Weigh in. :laugh:

I have no idea what to do about loans either....my bank, BOA, offers a Medical Student Maximizer loan, which with a cosigner offers about 250K in total borrowing potential at a pretty good rate. That's really as far as I've taken private loan investigation. What I would like is for WSU to let us know their preferred lenders or sponsored private loans--if they have any--sooner....so I can do some research. But thanks for making the call, jj...lol...I got a hilarious email from Tupper or Tucker (the current financial aid guy) who called me Miss Benson (not my name, but close enough for government work) and basically told me nothing.

Sigh...it's spring, we're just sittin' in limbo waiting, so of course I'm only thinking about the following two things:

1. Twin or Queen size bed? Since I'm freshly single, do I want a Spartan, accomodating tiny little bed like I've had since starting college in 1997...or do I finally want to upgrade even though it seems way too lavish. HAHAHAH. sigh.

2. What color should my first pair of scrubs be, and should I buy those yet? I've been looking at this website...aviatorscrubs.com...because they have cargo pants with all these pockets and look combat-ready. And they have maroon, which I think is a personally flattering color.

Weigh in. :laugh:

Mrs. Sloas siad that WSU does our entire financial aid package for us...in fact, here , Ill print the email she sent to me. SO, SEE BELOW--->

(BEGIN EMAIL)

Regarding your questions...
First, the FAFSA is required by the federal
government for any students who wish to borrow money
from federal loan programs, such as the Stafford
loan program. The Stafford loan program loans will
provide most of the funds needed for your budget.
The budget is determined by the university. It is
the maximum you can borrow for educational and
living expenses. Of course, if you have other
financial resources (scholarships, rich relatives,
or money already saved) you do not have to borrow.

We have several lenders from whom you can choose who
provide loans for medical students. They are
legitimate companies who provide excellent service
and are aware of the medical students situation
(residency, etc). You will receive information
about them when you are provided with your award
letter. The university financial aid office usually
begins sending out award letters mid-May.

I don't know what you mean about apartments not
accepting your loans. The loan funds are sent to
WSU from the lender. WSU pays your tuition and fees
from the loans received and then they deposit the
remaining funds into the bank account you designate.
You would write a check or withdraw cash from your
bank account in order to pay your apartment rent.
Yes, the budget (and therefore, your loans) include
living expenses, as well as educational expenses.

You will need to bring enough money with you for
deposits and initial rent. The loan refunds cannot
be processed until you begin classes. Most students
already have their apartments set up before they
begin classes.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

(END EMAIL)

So, i guess what that means is that they take care of it for us?!?! :confused:

This past summer I went matress shopping and bought a FUll size bed for $300 (it was on sale). But, if i gave you my 2cents...id say splurge and just go for a Tempurpedic bed. They are the best thing in the world. I think I might just do that in a couple years (use my loan money). And no....going to a bigger bed is not being too lavish, as you say....id say its mostly if not always necessary to have a big bed:D

i know my scrubs color...i love blue...id love anything but pink or purple.

i have 4 weeks and 2 days of college left, this is the beginning of my countdown!!! :D :D :D :D :thumbup:

Congratulations some more, jj:)!!! It will be such a relief to be done that you won't even get to enjoy it....hahahahaha. No seriously, I hope you have an excellent windup/winddown to the semester, college, your undergraduate status...etc etc.

I think, really, I know very little about the potential finances for my own future. I have that printed sheet they passed out at the interviews, and of course we can reference the same thing on the website...but you said "May" and I'm holdin' on to that....

A 300$ bed?????????? I gotta move out of Jersey.