Write prescription while doing residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Muhammad Usman

Reaction score
Hi, Good evening
As we all know, when we prescribe control substance there is record to find who prescribe what,
I was wondering can we find the data of all the medication (not control substance) that I prescribed until now ? Is their any record for that? Because NPI is very easy and anyone can prescribe medicine under your NPI?
Do our board know which medicine were prescribed under our name or no when we apply for full license in PGY3, or it can affect in any way?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi, Good evening
As we all know, when we prescribe control substance there is record to find who prescribe what,
I was wondering can we find the data of all the medication (not control substance) that I prescribed until now ? Is their any record for that? Because NPI is very easy and anyone can prescribe medicine under your NPI?
Do our board know which medicine were prescribed under our name or no when we apply for full license in PGY3, or it can affect in any way?
Thank you

Anyone can't prescribe medicine under your NPI. I mean, can they physically? Yes. But it's a crime with very serious consequences. There is not a clearinghouse of all your scripts that I'm aware of, but if your place of employment uses an EMR, then all your scripts are stored in patient charts in the EMR. If there's any suspicious activity out in the community then pharmacists are generally good about tipping you off.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you
From the EMR yes you are correct but what about any other prescription that was not prescribed through EMR ? So there is no way to find that data?
And what about state board , do you think they check our prescription details before giving us License when we apply for our full license ?

Anyone can theoretically Google a physicians name, practice location (including phone number and address), NPI, and license information - all of which is publicly available - and call in a prescription for any substance that isn't controlled, assuming they know how to phrase it appropriately. To do so without authorization of that physician is a crime.

There's no central database of prescriptions but if a pharmacist thinks it's odd they might call the doc to confirm.

No one routinely checks this sort of thing except for with controlled substances.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you
From the EMR yes you are correct but what about any other prescription that was not prescribed through EMR ? So there is no way to find that data?
And what about state board , do you think they check our prescription details before giving us License when we apply for our full license ?

No, state boards do not check your prescriptions. What are you concerned about? Did you prescribe something to someone you shouldn't have?

No one has the resources to be checking behind every physician for their prescription practices. If you are brought to the state MB's attention for a specific problem then they can look at your CS prescribing history but not non-CS.

No, state boards do not check your prescriptions. What are you concerned about? Did you prescribe something to someone you shouldn't have?
Thank you, yes I am concerned that if it can pop up and can cause any problem that I had prescribed few non Control substance medicine,

No one has the resources to be checking behind every physician for their prescription practices. If you are brought to the state MB's attention for a specific problem then they can look at your CS prescribing history but not non-CS.
Thank you

Anyone can theoretically Google a physicians name, practice location (including phone number and address), NPI, and license information - all of which is publicly available - and call in a prescription for any substance that isn't controlled, assuming they know how to phrase it appropriately. To do so without authorization of that physician is a crime.

There's no central database of prescriptions but if a pharmacist thinks it's odd they might call the doc to confirm.

No one routinely checks this sort of thing except for with controlled substances.
Got it thank you so much

Thank you, yes I am concerned that if it can pop up and can cause any problem that I had prescribed few non Control substance medicine,

For some states it's perfectly legal to prescribe non-controlled medications to anyone you want, including yourself as long as it has been documented like it would be for any other patient. You can put it in a Word document and meet the requirements. You'll find that medical associations tend to frown on this practice and question the safety and ethics of it, but it's still legal.

For some states it's perfectly legal to prescribe non-controlled medications to anyone you want, including yourself as long as it has been documented like it would be for any other patient. You can put it in a Word document and meet the requirements. You'll find that medical associations tend to frown on this practice and question the safety and ethics of it, but it's still legal.
Ok 👌

👍

My answer is a bit more nuanced. If you have a full license, then you can prescribe to anyone you want. including family members and friends. But, you're still held to medical record requirements -- which means you need to create a chart and keep a record, and you need to follow all of the laws about said records (how long you have to keep them, release to patients or others when requested, privacy issues (i.e. must be kept somewhere that others can't read them), etc). If something were to go wrong, you would be just as liable as any physician, and your residency medmal insurance would not cover you at all. Chances of any of that happening are small.

If you only have a training license, then all the above remains true, and everything you do needs to be supervised by someone else. If this was not supervised, it's not legal. Again, chances of anything bad happening are very small. But if even a minor issue generates a complaint to your program, you could be in trouble for practicing outside the scope of your license.

I tell all of my residents to avoid this if at all possible. There is almost always someone in the program whom would be happy to address the issue for you. refilling a standing prescription is probably OK -- but I would only do so for 2 weeks with no refills and have the person refill the standard way for the rest. And never, ever, ever for any controlled substance. Benzos, Narcs, Stimulants, Suboxone, Tramadol are all NEVER events. And also I would highly recommend that you never prescribe for yourself, anything.

Reactions: 3 users
My answer is a bit more nuanced. If you have a full license, then you can prescribe to anyone you want. including family members and friends. But, you're still held to medical record requirements -- which means you need to create a chart and keep a record, and you need to follow all of the laws about said records (how long you have to keep them, release to patients or others when requested, privacy issues (i.e. must be kept somewhere that others can't read them), etc). If something were to go wrong, you would be just as liable as any physician, and your residency medmal insurance would not cover you at all. Chances of any of that happening are small.

If you only have a training license, then all the above remains true, and everything you do needs to be supervised by someone else. If this was not supervised, it's not legal. Again, chances of anything bad happening are very small. But if even a minor issue generates a complaint to your program, you could be in trouble for practicing outside the scope of your license.

I tell all of my residents to avoid this if at all possible. There is almost always someone in the program whom would be happy to address the issue for you. refilling a standing prescription is probably OK -- but I would only do so for 2 weeks with no refills and have the person refill the standard way for the rest. And never, ever, ever for any controlled substance. Benzos, Narcs, Stimulants, Suboxone, Tramadol are all NEVER events. And also I would highly recommend that you never prescribe for yourself, anything.
Thank you