Writing a personal statement about my project, how much I shoud share?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libraryismyhome

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
currently, I am working as a volunteer researcher, and I have come up with a project idea. I wrote a protocol and presented to my mentors, and they told me that it looked good, meritorious though it needs some revision.

I am working on my personal statement now and wonder how much detail I should share with the adcoms, because my project is not complete yet and the idea is novel. How much I should share? Do I specifically need to describe the project in detail or just explain what I have done and how I have come up with a project?

Members don't see this ad.

currently, I am working as a volunteer researcher, and I have come up with a project idea. I wrote a protocol and presented to my mentors, and they told me that it looked good, meritorious though it needs some revision.

I am working on my personal statement now and wonder how much detail I should share with the adcoms, because my project is not complete yet and the idea is novel. How much I should share? Do I specifically need to describe the project in detail or just explain what I have done and how I have come up with a project?

I hope you mean the "describe your research experience" question and not the actual personal statement. Detailed descriptions of your research almost certainly don't need to be in the personal statement since you get a whole separate essay to do that in.

With regard to to "describe your research" I took it to be a place to show your involvement more so than a draft of a publication, in other words, it's much more important to discuss YOUR role, YOUR decisions, and YOUR ideas more so than what's actually going on. Talk to your PI about how much they think you should divulge, and if it's limited, say so and mention why.