Writing a resume for research as non-trad

Started by berrypie
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

berrypie

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would REALLY like to get a job as a research assistant this year, and I was wondering if any other non-trads can help me out:

How do I write a compelling resume for research if I've only taken basic sciences (ie. first yr bio, chem, phys, orgo)? The only lab experience I have is from those classes...Should I include info about previous employment/volunteer work even if it is completely unrelated?

Also, should I try to get work thru a university or thru a hospital/organization?

Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks
 
It shouldn't be a problem. I would include your past work experience and volunteering. It doesn't matter if they are unrelated to research. Employers like to get a feel for someone. In general, you want to present yourself as motivated and a quick learner.

I have quite a bit of research experience, and I think those qualities are more important than actual experience in some cases. Each lab does things differently, and you'll have to be trained no matter what. I just helped to interview a part-time research assistant for my lab, and I looked for who was the most eager, intelligent, and motivated person. I can teach them the techniques if they have that!

Universities are the best place to start. I work and attend classes at Johns Hopkins, and they have a great online site for jobs. As a full-time employee, I have the added benefit of tuition remission!

Good luck!