Writing improvement tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted102545

Do any of you have any tips on how to improve the writing score? I just freeze and bad writing comes out when I'm given such broad topics like the ones they give.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Do you freeze because you can't think of good examples or is it more test anxiety?

ReDox said:
Do any of you have any tips on how to improve the writing score? I just freeze and bad writing comes out when I'm given such broad topics like the ones they give.

Thanks in advance

the same thing happens to me...don't know why...would appreciate some tips as well..thanks!

harrypotter said:
Do you freeze because you can't think of good examples or is it more test anxiety?

I don't think I could come up with strong examples. I think mine will all be basic examples using plain words. Like what I've written so far.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make up your examples, but make them look realistic, if you don't have any examples or can't think of them fast enough. The markers aren't googling everyones example to make sure they are authentic, and usually they spent on average about a minute marking it. So, as long as the example sounds good it will flow.

make something up! this is a totally fine way of going about it... nowhere in the directions does it say examples can't be hypothetical. Hell, on the real MCAT, I straight up told them my example was hypothetical and I got an R. All they want to see is that you can hold conflicting views in your head... where those views come from- doesn't matter in the 30 mins they give you. And making up your examples can do wonders for your essay because you're in complete control of the theme and flow... which gives you major "cohesive and unified" points. Don't dwell! Not on the writing sample, people. :luck: :luck: