writing intensive courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RayRay20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've noticed that a lot of med schools allow you to use writing intensive courses in place of the english requirement. My question is, how do you indicate that a course is writing intensive in the AMCAS application?

For example, I took a business course that's also writing intensive, but obviously, this isn't a course from the english department so I can't put "English Language and Literature" for course classification.

I apologize if this has been asked but I went through some search results and couldn't find an answer to this question.

Members don't see this ad.

So I've noticed that a lot of med schools allow you to use writing intensive courses in place of the english requirement. My question is, how do you indicate that a course is writing intensive in the AMCAS application?

For example, I took a business course that's also writing intensive, but obviously, this isn't a course from the english department so I can't put "English Language and Literature" for course classification.

I apologize if this has been asked but I went through some search results and couldn't find an answer to this question.

lol, I just asked basically the same question about an hr ago. Alas, it still hasn't been replied to.

I'd like to do this, too, but I have a feeling that you can't. The courses section of the application is pretty bare bones. I don't know where or how you would do this without writing it in course title, but I'm not sure if that's allowed.

Members don't see this ad :)
hmmm...but what about courses like philosophy, anthropology, history, or higher level foreign language courses, where the adcomms could kind of figure out that you probably had to write tons of essays???

I remember reading somewhere that these types of humanities courses were okay for the English requirement...but I am really not sure.

I just found such an example on Harvard Med School's website:

5. Expository Writing:
one year. Writing skills are important for the study and practice of medicine. This requirement may be met with any non-science courses that involve substantial experience in expository writing. Advanced placement credits cannot be used to satisfy this requirement.

http://hms.harvard.edu/admissions/default.asp?page=requirements

hmmm...but what about courses like philosophy, anthropology, history, or higher level foreign language courses, where the adcomms could kind of figure out that you probably had to write tons of essays???

I remember reading somewhere that these types of humanities courses were okay for the English requirement...but I am really not sure.

Not sure. I'm just conjecturing.

Anyway, I think the OP was referring to courses that are specifically designated by the university as being "writing emphasis", not just course that happen to have a lot of written work.

anyone know?

No other engineers who didn't take legit english classes? :oops:

I was wondering this too. I'm pretty sure the title/description of the class makes it clear it was an upper-level writing class.

I'm a neuroscience major and there is a neuroscience advanced writing class I have to take (neuro 316) that's basically reading lots and lots of journal articles, analyzing, critiquing, and writing research papers.

My big concern is that I am a TX res and want to apply to Galveston, among other schools, but they specifically say that any writing intensive course NOT TAUGHT BY THE ENGLISH DEPARTMENT is unacceptable. As far as I know they are the only Texas school with this requirement, but unless I want to take both my major required writing class AND an advanced English class (probably eng 316-technical communication) I won't be able to apply there :(.

Does anyone know why they have that requirement? I don't see how my "Neuroscience advanced writing" is inferior in quality to "English Technical Communication"...

why take an advanced english class? u could just take a simple one...

If I recall correctly, some schools indicate on your transcript if something is writing intensive. I know Emory does since most of them are in the course number of mine.

You can have your advisor write a letter mentioning this. That's what I was told by a medical school dean when I asked about honors courses counting toward my English credits. (My honors courses are designated as some random Honors: Random Liberal Arts Title that doesn't describe them at all...so I just classified them as English or History or whatever they were and will have my program director write a letter explaining.)