AMCAS and Writing Intensive courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedMissteps

The Great West Coast
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I vaguely remember that on AMCAS there is/was a section where a student can indicate that they have AP English credits but that they ALSO have Writing Intensive classes that will satisfy med schools that won’t accept the AP English credits.

Where/what page on AMCAS is that detailed? If you can provide a screenshot that would be appreciated.

If my memory is wrong (from 10 years ago), or the AMCAS app no longer provides such a section to detail that you have Writing Intensive coursework, how do you indicate that for the med schools that accept Writing Intensive classes in lieu of Freshman Compositon I and II (that were satisfied thru AP). Some colleges do not put a W or WI designation on those courses.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe for Writing Intensive courses and other per-requisities, you indicate this on the respective secondaries. Many schools import your coursework and have you mark which ones correspond to the prereqs , with some adding text boxes for you to explain further.

Reactions: 1 users
I believe for Writing Intensive courses and other per-requisities, you indicate this on the respective secondaries. Many schools import your coursework and have you mark which ones correspond to the prereqs , with some adding text boxes for you to explain further.

For some reason, I am remembering somewhere on AMCAS where the student details Writing Intensive coursework that is needed for med schools that do not accept AP English credits. It’s been a long time since I‘ve seen an AMCAS app.

is there a link somewhere that I can see an app? I know it’s like 18 pages long.

Members don't see this ad :)
For some reason, I am remembering somewhere on AMCAS where the student details AP Credits and Writing Intensive coursework. It’s been a long time since I‘ve seen an AMCAS app.

is there a link somewhere that I can see an app? I know it’s like 18 pages long.
This link shows the blank sections of the app. Page 20 has the coursework section. I don't see writing intensive there as an option.

Reactions: 1 users
This link shows the blank sections of the app. Page 20 has the coursework section. I don't see writing intensive there as an option.

I don’t see Writing Intensive for an option either. I am almost certain that years ago, there was some way to indicate that you were fulfilling the 1 year English requirement with 2 courses of Writing Intensive courses (for the med schools that won’t let you use AP English credits to fulfill the English requirement.

For example, Harvard medical school indicates that you can replace 1 year of Freshman Composition with Writing Intensive courses or with Humanities and Social Science courses that involve substantial writing. Ok….so…..how would you indicate those classes as being those type of classes on AMCAS? How would Harvard know that your 3XX History of Math class is a Writing Intensive class?
EDIT….I guess that’s done on the Secondary??

So, I guess my next question is…. Does the applicant indicate on their AMCAS app which courses are satisfying (for example) one year of bio, one year of physics, etc? Or is that the med school’s job to carefully look over coursework and see if 1 year of bio was complete, etc.

believe for Writing Intensive courses and other per-requisities, you indicate this on the respective secondaries. Many schools import your coursework and have you mark which ones correspond to the prereqs , with some adding text boxes for you to explain further.

Ok, I think this might answer my question. I could swear that this is a change from 10 years ago. I would almost bet that this was done in the Primary back then. Or maybe my memory is toast. :lol:

Keep your syllabus. I don't see anything on AMCAS where you can note courses as writing intensive like you can with study abroad or other types of courses (yet). I suppose you could note that in secondary applications if asked for additional information (anything else to disclose). Just always have the syllabi handy; you could even be pre-emptive and ask before submitting so you have their word on record (if they dare give a decision).