Writing my own LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

planetarhalo

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My research PI asked me to write my own LOR. I’ve gotten some advice on how to do this, but I want to make sure it’s as strong as possible.

Would anyone be willing to share with me examples of a sample strong research LOR? I can’t find any examples online.
 
Word of caution here: if you do end up writing your own letter (which itself is not really ideal)... ask to see what your PI will ultimately submit and make sure you're storing your letters in Interfolio.

I had a very creative, intellectually generous PI who wrote on one of my colleague's letter some colorful lines like "[Applicant]'s parents divorced as a child and [she] was abandoned by [her] father. I have always noticed [applicant] to have sad eyes." She absolutely shared that in confidence and could not believe the PI volunteered that information to the medical school. She dropped out and moved to China. True story. You can't make this stuff up.

If you do end up in a situation like this, which I admit is probably not likely, you can thank them profusely and just not use that letter. Build redundancy now and ask for more letters than you think you'll need from other professors you trust, for a rainy day. Prepare for a hurricane and a summer drizzle won't shake you.