Writing my own rec letter ?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

modemduck

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey whats up?
I asked an ophthalmologist here to write me a rec letter; he said I could just write it myself and make it as good as I want. However, I have no idea what to put in it or how long it should be... (this is for a research fellowship thats kinda tough to get) Do any of you know what key points I should mention or how I can do a strong job of writing this and how long the letter should be? Let me know, thanx in advance.

-ra

Members don't see this ad.

I've had to do this before too.

Length should be 1-2 pages because no one has time to read a book. Two pages is already a long letter.

Format should be:

1) Introduction to describe the writer's relationship with you. The writer should address how long and to what extent has been your relationship, e.g. "I've been Andrew's clinical instructor for 2 years..." Also it should be stated why the letter is written, e.g. medical school application, scholarship, residency, etc...

2) Statement of how you compare to other students they've worked with. Are you the best ever? Are you in the top 5%, 10%, quartile, etc...

3) Specific statements and details about your character and qualifications.

4) Closing summary.