Writing own LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CLB_MD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my letter writers (doctor I shadow) asked me to write a letter of recommendation template/draft for her to edit and send to AMCAS. Does anyone know what I should include in that letter or have a format I could follow? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You're technically not allowed to write up a draft for her from my understanding. Since it's suppose to be about how the doctor feels about you, not about how you feel about yourself. If you get caught, there can be serious repercussions. Although you can probably just send a LOR template and examples that you can find by googling.
If you do decide to write a LOR for yourself (and I know plenty of people who do), just make it believable. Because you may be shooting yourself in the foot.

#1 It is early enough in the cycle that you should strongly consider finding a different letter writer. Letters from someone you shadowed are never going to be strong. They are at best a filler.

#2 It is not uncommon for people to ask you to do this. Certainly not the norm, but it happens. In general, they are easy to write if you have something to say, otherwise they tend to feel impossible. This is also why this case in particular is one you should be walking away from. There is little of interest that someone you shadowed can say in the first place. The fact that they asked you to write it is likely more of a reflection of them having no idea what they can possibly say about you to help you get into medical school than them being busy (the typical reason for asking a student to pre-write the letter).

#3 LOR are an opportunity, not a checkbox, so stop treating it as such. This isn't about filling out a template and submitting it. Will it work for an otherwise strong applicant, of course. The bar is not so high. However, every part of your application, including your LOR are an opportunity to catch the committee's attention. Why waste it on a sub-par writer?

You're technically not allowed to write up a draft for her from my understanding. Since it's suppose to be about how the doctor feels about you, not about how you feel about yourself. If you get caught, there can be serious repercussions. Although you can probably just send a LOR template and examples that you can find by googling.
If you do decide to write a LOR for yourself (and I know plenty of people who do), just make it believable. Because you may be shooting yourself in the foot.

What exactly do you mean by "technically not allowed"? What are you violating? This is common and there is nothing to get "caught" on. At the end of the day, it is the letter writer's signature. They are vouching for whatever ends up in the letter.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What exactly do you mean by "technically not allowed"? What are you violating? This is common and there is nothing to get "caught" on. At the end of the day, it is the letter writer's signature. They are vouching for whatever ends up in the letter.
That isnt correct. While I personally dont think it is a great idea to do, it is perfectly legal to do so. The person who asked you to write it for them will presumably read it before signing it.

Attached is the AAMC LOR writers guide.
Awesome, I got lied to.
The reason why I made that statement was because I propose the same question as OP over 6 months ago after I got called up about one of my LOR not having all the contact information and a signature. The doctor I shadowed in a rural area in Missouri had never written a LOR before and was not aware of what is needed in the letter. So I had the bright idea of asking them if I can help him on the LOR...

Boom! The guy I was talking to switch the call over to the head of the department who gave me a huge lecture. Saying that if I help or had helped him in writing the LOR, it would be a "big problem" and would destroy my chances for med school. This is basically how the conversation went...

"The guy never written a LOR, so I just want to help him out and give him a little direction."

"No....(blah blah blah "big problem").... If he has been working as a doctor for over 10 years, he should know how to write a LOR."

"But, like I said, he lives in a very rural area and has never allowed someone to shadow him before."

"Does not matter. If he is of anyway a respected doctor, he should know how to write a simple letter."

"..... You B@#!%" (I didn't say this part).

After that, my doctor had to figure out on his own and I felt like absolute **** because I could not help him in anyway. I hate that woman.

This is usually an indication that he or she does not feel like they know enough about you to write you a good letter. So they have you write it yourself. Rethink why you're asking this person to write your letter. The reason I say this is because other people can provide insights about you that you can't necessarily provide about yourself. Chances are, you're going to emphasize aspects of your application in this letter that you already have emphasized in your AMCAS application. Letters from other people provide a different perspective on you and add another dimension to your application.

Reactions: 1 user
I understand why a physician you have only shadowed would be unable to write you a very strong letter, but where exactly are most students supposed to receive one? Most research opportunities for undergrads don't involve research with a physician, and most volunteering opportunities that at least I was presented with involved even less actual interaction with a physician than shadowing would. That pretty much just leaves scribing and maybe a select few other jobs.

My cycle has gone better than expected with a letter from a doctor I shadowed, and even if it hadn't gone well I am a scribe, so I'm not personally complaining. I just don't see where most students are supposed to be cashing in on these great letters from doctors they have had extensive interaction with.

I feel like that defeats the whole purpose.

I understand why a physician you have only shadowed would be unable to write you a very strong letter, but where exactly are most students supposed to receive one? Most research opportunities for undergrads don't involve research with a physician, and most volunteering opportunities that at least I was presented with involved even less actual interaction with a physician than shadowing would. That pretty much just leaves scribing and maybe a select few other jobs.

My cycle has gone better than expected with a letter from a doctor I shadowed, and even if it hadn't gone well I am a scribe, so I'm not personally complaining. I just don't see where most students are supposed to be cashing in on these great letters from doctors they have had extensive interaction with.

Is there a requirement for a letter from a physician that I'm not aware of?
Maybe you can try your primary care doctor, they probably know you better than the dude you shadowed.
;)

--
Il Destriero

Is there a requirement for a letter from a physician that I'm not aware of?
Maybe you can try your primary care doctor, they probably know you better than the dude you shadowed.
;)

--
Il Destriero
My prehealth committee requires a physician letter. I'd assume there are at least a few other schools who do as well.

So I had the bright idea of asking them if I can help him on the LOR...

I feel like this makes your situation different, and why you got the lecture. If the idea came from you, that looks a little different than OP's situation. Just my $.02.

But the info that @gonnif recommended is great...I've had plenty of students who have been in a similar situation, given the brochure to their writer, and got a good letter from it.

I feel like this makes your situation different, and why you got the lecture. If the idea came from you, that looks a little different than OP's situation. Just my $.02.

But the info that @gonnif recommended is great...I've had plenty of students who have been in a similar situation, given the brochure to their writer, and got a good letter from it.
I should have phrased that in a better way.
The only idea I had was asking them if it would be a problem. My doctor was actually asking for input from me. Heck, he even sent me the LOR itself, but I was too scared to actually read it. Since I was under the impression that I'm not allowed to give my input. Hence, why I asked.
Now that I think about it, I should've just helped him write it. Since there was little to no chance of it getting found out.

I should have phrased that in a better way.
The only idea I had was asking them if it would be a problem. My doctor was actually asking for input from me. Heck, he even sent me the LOR itself, but I was too scared to actually read it. Since I was under the impression that I'm not allowed to give my input. Hence, why I asked.
Now that I think about it, I should've just helped him write it. Since there was little to no chance of it getting found out.

A doc I shadowed and interviewed with offered to write me a letter because she liked me. She asked for a template and a resume. I provided her both, and the letter she turned them into was incredible. *shrug* It just depends on the doc.

That said, if you're early in the process and have time to either find another writer or build a stronger relationship that could better guarantee a strong letter, do that.

A doc I shadowed and interviewed with offered to write me a letter because she liked me. She asked for a template and a resume. I provided her both, and the letter she turned them into was incredible. *shrug* It just depends on the doc.

That said, if you're early in the process and have time to either find another writer or build a stronger relationship that could better guarantee a strong letter, do that.
Sadly, this was last year when it happened. So it's too late to fix things now. I just wish I had done the same because he really had no idea what to do, but was kind and wanted to help me.
Instead I took the advice of some rude stranger who apparently didn't know any better.