You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Writing papers in vet school?
Started by planet09
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
From what I know, nope! There might be certain electives that may have papers involved, otherwise I left the lab reports and essays back in undergrad!
I had a very informal 1-page writeup at the beginning of 1st year for a class, and that's it.
Which is lovely, because I also despise essays and papers.
Which is lovely, because I also despise essays and papers.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
I think I only wrote papers for electives (and my research lol). Even the excessive paperwork of 4th year never got to research paper level!
Not unless you seek out such torture 😉
Depends on the school... we did have a few classes that had essay assignments amounting to ~6-10 pages double spaced. However, there were only like 3 total for all of vet school, so it's not like college where you end up writing a bunch of papers every semester.
We had one real research-ish type paper our first year, that actually no longer exists in the curriculum because he professor no longer teaches in that quarter.
I think I'm the only one who misses essays and essay based tests. 😕
I think I'm the only one who misses essays and essay based tests. 😕
supershorty
Don't look so vexed, toots.
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
I had no papers that I can remember other than maybe one that was a final project.
We had like...one shortish paper in Epi our second year. That's it (which is kinda unfortunate for the rare individual like me who actually likes writing papers).
Me! I'm with you on the liking essays 😉
I think I'm the only one who misses essays and essay based tests. 😕
Me! I'm with you on the liking essays 😉
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oh I like writing things for sure. Would rather have done papers than studied for exams, but alas.
Me! I'm with you on the liking essays 😉
Oh I like writing things for sure. Would rather have done papers than studied for exams, but alas.
We did essays for homework and essay tests for 300 and 400 level classes in undergrad. So much better for me grades wise then. Not good prepping for vet school lol
Saaaaaaaaaaame. If I had essay questions I feel like I would have been an A student. Lol
4th year we had a presentation where you would present a case you saw in clinics to faculty and underclassmen. Zebra or otherwise fun to discuss. You had to write a manuscript to go with it—mine was like 15 pages. I had my presentation before NAVLE and it was a pretty straightforward case so it helped I feel but I knew a lot about the condition to start and it did become one more thing to do during 4th year, which is never fun.
On our radiology rotation they told us if we broke a major safety rule, like hands in the shot, we had to write a paper on radiation safety. I was lucky enough to not have to do one but I heard it was a 30 page requirement!
We had one real research-ish type paper our first year, that actually no longer exists in the curriculum because he professor no longer teaches in that quarter.
I think I'm the only one who misses essays and essay based tests. 😕
4th year we had a presentation where you would present a case you saw in clinics to faculty and underclassmen. Zebra or otherwise fun to discuss. You had to write a manuscript to go with it—mine was like 15 pages. I had my presentation before NAVLE and it was a pretty straightforward case so it helped I feel but I knew a lot about the condition to start and it did become one more thing to do during 4th year, which is never fun.
On our radiology rotation they told us if we broke a major safety rule, like hands in the shot, we had to write a paper on radiation safety. I was lucky enough to not have to do one but I heard it was a 30 page requirement!
a 30 page requirement
Oh my dog
Oh my dog
yep. I mean I can’t confirm that’s true, but why would anyone make that up?!
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Radiologists spread the rumor to discourage people from putting their body parts in the primary beam 😉yep. I mean I can’t confirm that’s true, but why would anyone make that up?!
I'm pretty sure we would have just...failed the rotation. If we did that.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On our radiology rotation they told us if we broke a major safety rule, like hands in the shot, we had to write a paper on radiation safety. I was lucky enough to not have to do one but I heard it was a 30 page requirement!
That’s kind of them. You’d just fail the rotation